mcdoug

Changing pulley on a Family Sew motor

I feel your pain Tom..
Speaking of sets of taps and dies..Whoever makes and sells a set of Singer tools ( including taps and dies for the old ones ) will get my business ( and I think, that of many others ) , problem is that Singer seem to have changed their threads "back in the day" depending on the weather.

Edited by mikesc

China works in Imperial  and Metric depending on the order. I own custom order taps in fractional inches made in China and their quality is superb. As they use almost 100% CNC machines, it matters not what unit the blueprint/model uses. North America can continue using imperial units just fine even though it gets much of its goods from China.

China works in Imperial and Metric depending on the order. I own custom order taps in fractional inches made in China and their quality is superb. As they use almost 100% CNC machines, it matters not what unit the blueprint/model uses. North America can continue using imperial units just fine even though it gets much of its goods from China.

For now..but as a result of "recent trade disputes with the USA"..Chinese companies are looking ( and finding ) more "stable" partners..Beginning with Telecoms equipment ( Huawei's deal with Russia, and pending deals with various EU countries ) ..China is all about "stability", they can ( and do ) turn off the supply of things ( or increase the export prices ) to countries that they do not consider to be stable partners..

The supply of "Rare Earths" is a lever that they have recently begun to apply pressure on..Taps, Dies, Nuts , Bolts, and so on that the USA and Canada needs to buy from them, could be a very effective additional lever, such items may yet see their export prices rise , or delays in orders get longer.."trade pressure" can be applied in many ways..including "both ways".

Edited by mikesc

The temptation of 3d printing a small pulley is almost irresistible. I am going to try it tonight.

I am sure someone on the forum has printed pulleys for the both the top end as well as the motor end. I wonder how they are holding up? I would predict in the next 10 years as the price of 3d printers for metal become more advanced and come down in price things are really going to change. Instead of buying / shipping certain parts you would just buy or develop the file and print it in a workshop.

kgg

Afraid your to late its already here and the price is dropping all the time as people buy the top end printers and offer the service

https://all3dp.com/1/3d-metal-3d-printer-metal-3d-printing/