utah leather

storing leather hides

what is the best way to store my leather hides for long term storage ( I think somebody said under a bed ) is there a way to cover it up so the bedroom doesn't smeel like leather ?

Leather is organic- it needs to breathe (so to speak). It can (and will) absorb odors from the environment it is stored in.

I use the box it was shipped in to keep larger hides rolled up in. The important thing is to not scratch the working face of the leather by laying a hide or piece of leather on or under something else that may scar it.

Your issue with the smell is the material acclimating and off-gassing a bit. As long as the material is exposed to changing moisture in the environment and airflow you will have this issue. Ironically enough- it needs the moisture and airflow to retain its properties. The only hides I plastic wrap are the oilskin style as I have several long greasy streaks on the gypsum board where I tried laying a roll in the shelf. Even these are wrapped in a towel first to wick excess oil.

Sounds odd- but the wife hangs Rosemary and other herbs for scent in the staging area for my little shipping desk. OK- its actually the folding table our laundry room... but when I get done folding my shirts... its the shipping table!  (Do not lay the herbs on the leather- the oils may stain it... but my mason jar sleeves have a nice aroma of rosemary and basil when I ship them out per some of my customers!) I also use lavender and some mint in a few purses I have made to make the item more appealing when opened- my thank you card is attached to the bundle. Maybe a sachet of herbs under the bed as well? Just an idea. 

If there is any area a roll can be stored it may serve you better- others will have better ideas- I first stored my leather in rolls behind the couch- but have upgraded to a shelf in the craft area (Read as my wife got tired of me asking for shelf space and felt pity on me! HA!).

Hope this helps- be safe and let us know how you make out!

Kerri

I have a couple of large plastic free standing storage shelving units I got a Lowe's.  They can handle a fair amount of weight and I keep my sides of leather on the shelves, rolled up with the grain side inside the roll to protect it.  I keep my veg tan leather separate from my chrome tan leathers because the hides that have more fats in them or that are already dyed could potentially stain the veg tan.  I also have plastic totes that I store small scrap pieces in, again keeping the veg tan separate. 

My shop is in a finished basement, so I've got room for the shelves.  It's also pretty dry where I live so I don't have to worry about moisture in the basement.

My wife has embraced by hobby by encouraging wall cabinets initially to keep things in(read not clutter up her house) but we quickly realized laying the rolled up double shoulders on top was not working.  We bought what is supposed to be a pantry cabinet.  It has an upper and a lower section with a shelf in between.  I stand the rolled up double shoulders( I haven't bought any sides and right now don't have plans to) on the shelf behind the top door and the lower door has 4 large drawers behind it which also work very well for more storage.  Mine came from Menards but I would think most of the home improvement stores would have similar.

Todd