Gusta1

Searching machine for sewing boots.

Hello, I'm from Argentina and a friend who is with a pole boots entrepreneurship I consult if there is a sewing machine that works parallel to the sewing arm. What he found is the following machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KInflV0HEdI

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KInflV0HEdI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I told him that the closest thing to that economical is a Singer 29K but I would like to know if there is any other option with that style of sewing.

I apologize for my English!

That style of feed is called transverse feed, or sew up the arm. There are sew up the arm machines used to make blue jeans, but they aren't really able to sew with heavy thread and may only be chainstitch machines.

There are some specialty sew up the arm machines that are smaller than the Hightex in the video, but you'd have to search the Internet for them.

If a chainstitch is acceptable, there is a brand made in the USA called Puritan. Their machines are chainstitch with needle and awl feed. The make an up the arm machine called The Alligator.

Thank you! The problem I have is that I am in Argentina, I am currently preparing an Adler 70/30 in very good condition. The same person who is repairing the Adler told me that there were some old Singer that could sew like the Alligator.

He happened to me the photo of the black Singer but he says that he sews along the arm, I do not know if it will be true ...

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-06 at 16.35.07.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-08 at 10.38.45(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-08 at 10.38.45.jpeg

The machine in the last two photos isn't going to "sew along the arm", because the feed dogs ( zoom in to see them ) are pulling from front to back..
HTH :)

It looks to be a very long arm machine, maybe for sewing sails.

Edited by mikesc

From what I can see in the dark photos, that cylinder arm machine just has normal feed over the arm. Transverse feed machines have the foot/feet and feed dog aligned inline with the arm, not across it. Singer used to make a machine that sewed up the arm.

You might be able to get the Adler to do this , if you rigged up some sort of straight edge line guide* on the arm so that as you sewed along the arm you could watch the stitched seam that you were sewing stayed aligned with it, and thus make sure it did not wander.

*Something that went around the upper arm and held a block with a hole bore vertically so that it allowed a vertical bar with a straight edge to be lowered so as to rest parallel to the lower arm on the material along the seam as you were sewing.
Two large "hose clips" or strong cable ties to hold a bar with a vertical hole and a side hole to allow a threaded guide stop screw..that would let the bar slide up and down..then on the bottom end you attach a small bar about 50mm to 100mm long that rests on top of what you are sewing , right up against your stitch line..and parallel to the lower arm..if you watched that your stitches stayed "along it" that would keep your seam " along the arm" pretty straight..Not perfect..but it might do until you can get a true along the arm machine.

If you go to this Singer model number page and look under the section for the 11 series, there are several listed as up the arm feed machines. Finding one in working condition is another matter. They are from the 1940s and WWII.

11-17.jpg

Edited by Wizcrafts
Added the link I forgot earlier

Umm, Wiz..you forgot to post the link to "the page" ..."If you go to this Singer model number page and look under the section for the 11 series" mentioned in your last post.. :)

Thank you :)

ok, then the machine he needs is an 11-13 I'll check to see if anyone knows any working and for sale in my country!

Thank you all so much for your help!

7 hours ago, mikesc said:

You might be able to get the Adler to do this , if you rigged up some sort of straight edge line guide* on the arm so that as you sewed along the arm you could watch the stitched seam that you were sewing stayed aligned with it, and thus make sure it did not wander.

*Something that went around the upper arm and held a block with a hole bore vertically so that it allowed a vertical bar with a straight edge to be lowered so as to rest parallel to the lower arm on the material along the seam as you were sewing.
Two large "hose clips" or strong cable ties to hold a bar with a vertical hole and a side hole to allow a threaded guide stop screw..that would let the bar slide up and down..then on the bottom end you attach a small bar about 50mm to 100mm long that rests on top of what you are sewing , right up against your stitch line..and parallel to the lower arm..if you watched that your stitches stayed "along it" that would keep your seam " along the arm" pretty straight..Not perfect..but it might do until you can get a true along the arm machine.

You have a picture with an example of this?

Nope ..only in my head..but..I have a Wacom unit that I can hook up to this computer tomorrow ( just after midnight here now ) and then draw it ( what I'm thinking of ) for you .. :)

Thanks :)..I know that site of old..but thought that Wiz was maybe referring to another..

3 hours ago, Evo160K said:

I checked out that ad and the machine is setup as a standard crossfeed machine, not up the arm. The foot and feed dog must sit inline with the arm to feed up the arm. This one soen't have that.

10 minutes ago, Gusta1 said:

This is the machine that he needs, the problem is that in Argentina there should not be any, you will have to consult what is the import price!

http://www.cowboysew.com/461-super-long-cylinder-bed-sewing-machine.htm

Does anyone know any place in the United States where they sell it to check the price? Thank you!

There are 2 different long arm types there and I think you are wanting the 7411RL-37 Feed up the arm sewing machine for transverse seam. There are 2 videos there showing the differences.

57 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I checked out that ad and the machine is setup as a standard crossfeed machine, not up the arm. The foot and feed dog must sit inline with the arm to feed up the arm. This one soen't have that.

Good catch, Wiz.  Do you think the machine was modified from an 11-13 or misidentified in the eBay ad as an 11-13?  

31 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

There are 2 different long arm types there and I think you are wanting the 7411RL-37 Feed up the arm sewing machine for transverse seam. There are 2 videos there showing the differences.

Yes, it's the 7411 he needs. Thank you!!

Here is the 7411RL-37 in action...

The machine you are looking for is probably the Singer class 11-35, this was able to sew across and up the arm by changing the parts assigned to this model. 11-8,13,14,16,17,21,23 or later 11-37 is up the arm. I personally think this type is overkill for making boots. Uwe might have one or two laying around his shop?? The one on Ebay says 11-13 and according to this manual it should be up the arm???

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERPARTS/11-32 11-34 11-35--.pdf

One of the smaller models was the Singer 17-10, finding one or the other might be pretty hard. This would be better i think for boot making.

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERPARTS/17-1 - 17-18.pdf

SIL10-1793-045a.thumb.jpg.17b00f258fcd00ade48d8079808709c5.jpgSIL10-1793-047a.thumb.jpg.08245d2f580c628f6128649743ba668c.jpgSIL10-1793-044a.jpg.affd19641a790e741091573d9b1b5cd5.jpgSIL10-1793-046a.thumb.jpg.af349f6ee74f4719c178f0c2a15ce7a6.jpgpost-32832-0-21458800-1416669766.thumb.jpg.f617619a4810e01058efd389afa12ceb.jpg

Edited by jimi

On 6/8/2019 at 11:39 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Here is the 7411RL-37 in action...

today they informed me the price of this machine ... 11,000 dollars hahaha

We will continue looking for the singer!

This is interesting. I just bought a 1940s Singer 11-17 Transverse seam sewing machine (I'm based in England, UK) .

It works fairly well but the cylinder bobbin shuttle keeps ejecting the bobbin out while I sew and it could use a new presser foot. 

Does anyone know where I can get replacement parts for it? 

The only thing I seem to be able to source is needles.

s-l1600.jpg

11 parts hard to find.  College Sewing?  You need a new hook and Presser foot.

glenn