Sign in to follow this  
Asad

Making an iphone cover for my girl

Is there any edge paint that can be applied to leather and as well as plastic

Im on a project that has leather ending right next to the plastic and i have to colour it

That is a difficult question to answer, because making paint adhere to plastic is 'sometimes' problematic at best or total failure in the worst case scenario. Sometimes it can be ok, but it all depends on the plastic.

All I can suggest would be a test on a scrap piece of the plastic, and see if it is even possible.

You might find a slight roughening of the plastic with fine sandpaper, like 400grit, might help, or there are prep-coats available to help paint stick, but they are expensive and might not work for your particular plastic.

The prep-coats are used on melamine or 'resin impregnated overlay' products like laminex counter top and splashback material.

Where in Australia are you based? You might get more assistance if you show the task to an experienced leatherworker, in person.

Edited by Rockoboy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylic_paint

it's ok for leather and also for wood,plastic,steel....and more.

Edited by paloma

Whether you can paint plastic..and have the paint actually stay on..including using acrylic paint..
Depends entirely on what kind of "plastic" its is..
Standard Acrylics ( such as those sold in Artist's Supply shops ) will peel right off ABS, Polyester, Polypropylene, HDPE, LDPE, and most other plastics..unless you use a "prep"coat", or an "etch wash"..

I used to have a custom painting business, painted more "plastics" and more types of "plastics" than I care to remember..

Are you painting the actual phone ..or a "bumper", or the silicone surround that you get in some "off the shelf phone cases", the part that slips over and around the phone..if it is the latter, nothing will stick and stay on..If it is the former ( a plastic part of the phone ) then "two pack vehicle industrial paint" will work..or "industrial vehicle paint base coat", which is usually matte, and then a top coat of sprayed "two pack industrial vehicle paint clear" ..They won't "build up" very well on leather however..

But, if you want to stay away from those ( they are toxic, and you'll need to use a toxic vapour mask , even if spraying with an airbrush ) and use something with a bit more "build up" like a normal leather edge paint..Most of which are "Acrylics" with adjustments to their "binders"..

You can also try Tamiya paint for plastic models ( it will eventually wear off the plastic, especially if the plastic flexes ) , or almost any other Plastic model paint that says Acrylic ..

There is one Acrylic paint that is sold for artists that can be used to build up on leather edges, and in the version sold for airbrush artists can be sprayed on to plastic and will hold ( but still not as well as "two pack" ), but you need to sand the plastic to provide a "mechanical key" with say 800 or 1000 grit "wet and dry"..or use a red scotch brite pad to do similar sanding of your plastic..

Liquitex.. It comes in tubes..( too thick to use for leather edges or plastic, and almost impossible to "thin" consistently ) sold for artists...and for your purposes, it is also sold in "liquid version" for airbrushing ( this version can be much harder to find ) ..This is the version that can be sprayed onto "some plastics" ( it sticks well on PVC ) and that may ( I have never tried it ) work as an "edge paint" on leather..

Any plastic has to be "degreased" ( cleaned of fingerprint marks and fingerprint "oils" etc ) first, if not paint ( acrylic or otherwise )wont adhere evenly ( even temporarily ) initially ..Most "plastic" is coloured when it is made..That which isn't , can be coloured ( like car bumpers and panels, bike fairings etc ) but requires the kind of preparation products and paints that are"pro use" only, because they are expensive, and toxic, and require specific preparation and safety procedures and products to use..

If what you are trying to paint is a plastic part of the phone or a silicone "surround" bumper, it would be easier and cheaper to buy one that is the correct colour, or close to it.

Even sprayed on Liquitex will easily scratch off and wear off plastic..it hold a bit better on PVC..but can still be scratched off with a finger nail.

IIRC..The actual surround on an iphone is anodised aluminium*, with a glass front and back "slab"

*real "fun" to get any kind of paint to adhere to, requires epoxy based primers, etch wash, and two part catalised top coat, non of which are at all "friendly" to humans..

Edited by mikesc

34 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Whether you can paint plastic..and have the paint actually stay on..including using acrylic paint..
Depends entirely on what kind of "plastic" its is..
Standard Acrylics ( such as those sold in Artist's Supply shops ) will peel right off ABS, Polyester, Polypropylene, HDPE, LDPE, and most other plastics..unless you use a "prep"coat", or an "etch wash"..

I used to have a custom painting business, painted more "plastics" and more types of "plastics" than I care to remember..

Are you painting the actual phone ..or a "bumper", or the silicone surround that you get in some "off the shelf phone cases", the part that slips over and around the phone..if it is the latter, nothing will stick and stay on..If it is the former ( a plastic part of the phone ) then "two pack vehicle industrial paint" will work..or "industrial vehicle paint base coat", which is usually matte, and then a top coat of sprayed "two pack industrial vehicle paint clear" ..They won't "build up" very well on leather however..

But, if you want to stay away from those ( they are toxic, and you'll need to use a toxic vapour mask , even if spraying with an airbrush ) and use something with a bit more "build up" like a normal leather edge paint..Most of which are "Acrylics" with adjustments to their "binders"..

You can also try Tamiya paint for plastic models ( it will eventually wear off the plastic, especially if the plastic flexes ) , or almost any other Plastic model paint that says Acrylic ..

There is one Acrylic paint that is sold for artists that can be used to build up on leather edges, and in the version sold for airbrush artists can be sprayed on to plastic and will hold ( but still not as well as "two pack" ), but you need to sand the plastic to provide a "mechanical key" with say 800 or 1000 grit "wet and dry"..or use a red scotch brite pad to do similar sanding of your plastic..

Liquitex.. It comes in tubes..( too thick to use for leather edges or plastic, and almost impossible to "thin" consistently ) sold for artists...and for your purposes, it is also sold in "liquid version" for airbrushing ( this version can be much harder to find ) ..This is the version that can be sprayed onto "some plastics" ( it sticks well on PVC ) and that may ( I have never tried it ) work as an "edge paint" on leather..

Any plastic has to be "degreased" ( cleaned of fingerprint marks and fingerprint "oils" etc ) first, if not paint ( acrylic or otherwise )wont adhere evenly ( even temporarily ) initially ..Most "plastic" is coloured when it is made..That which isn't , can be coloured ( like car bumpers and panels, bike fairings etc ) but requires the kind of preparation products and paints that are"pro use" only, because they are expensive, and toxic, and require specific preparation and safety procedures and products to use..

If what you are trying to paint is a plastic part of the phone or a silicone "surround" bumper, it would be easier and cheaper to buy one that is the correct colour, or close to it.

Even sprayed on Liquitex will easily scratch off and wear off plastic..it hold a bit better on PVC..but can still be scratched off with a finger nail.

IIRC..The actual surround on an iphone is anodised aluminium*, with a glass front and back "slab"

*real "fun" to get any kind of paint to adhere to, requires epoxy based primers, etch wash, and two part catalised top coat, non of which are at all "friendly" to humans..

yes yes exact,be careful, however, some plastic are difficult to paint and as said by mikesc it's better to sand before.

tres juste la précision du pré-poncage ou du primer.....

tbh, if its just the edge of a piece of plastic I would use a 'Sharpie' or indelible marker pen. It'll be less fuss than priming and painting and it will last just as long.

Depends on the colour they want Fred..Black is no problem ( although it does wear off and fade, any exposure to UV or daylight fades sharpies in particular very fast* ) other colours in "indelible", need to go to an office supply store..Colours tend to be black, red, blue, green..occasionally purple

Btw most "indelible" markers are water based, and are probably a version of extremely fine ground pigments in an acrylic liant / base.

I used a black Sharpie to mark our address on a new "wheelie bin" ( got it too late in the day to break out the paint ) , forgot about it..two weeks later it had faded to be unreadable..this is far from the sunniest part of France.

I find that indelible marker ink is alcohol based. I remove it with meths. I can also get it in every colour. I use them for fine 'painting' on leather. Sometimes the markers are sold as 'paint' pens but they have ink in them not paint.

Here they ( the indelible markers .. including Sharpie ) all say that they are water based..maybe with around 30% to 70% ( in the latter case it is indeed more true to say they are alcohol based ) isopropyl alcohol..But they are all far from UV fast..

I can also get it in every colour

You see now, that is indeed the luck of the Irish living in Ireland :)
Here, in Brittany ( despite being Irish ) if I want "indelible", it is black, blue, red, green, purple occasionally.

Edited by mikesc