iknowit101

Singer 31-15 Tension breaks the thread

Greetings to all,

I am having problems with my new (to me) Singer 31-15 that keeps braking the thread all the time. I have been reading to see if I can figure out what's wrong with it, the upper tension is not working.
I found this youtube video and at 4:45 on the video, he talks about the Singer 31-15 tension and how the Needle Crank lever should press the Tension release lever to push the pin that release the tension during the stitching cycle, that is not happening on this machine the needle crank lever  gets very close to the tension release lever but doesn't touch it and it needs to push it to release the tension and the thread can be pulled without breaking.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Four years ago, I tried to get Harry to take another look at his bull$hit about how “the Needle Crank lever should press the Tension release lever to push the pin that release the tension during the stitching cycle” (my post is at his Youtube video), and he didn’t reply. He replied to another guy and said that he no longer had the machine and couldn’t look into that person’s problem.

Your needle crank shouldn’t hit the tension release linkage at all.  Look elsewhere for your thread-breaking problem.

CD in Oklahoma

Thanks, I will see what I can do. I have to add a note here: I did followed Harry's advise and bought the upper tension unit, replaced it on the machine in question and now the needle crank does touches the tension release lever, therefore the pin is being pushed out and the tension plates are opening to release the pressure on the thread.

I still have to time it because still not there yet, but I think that I am close to get it right though.

I believe that the trick here is that when replacing the upper tension unit, this one MUST be pushed as far as you can, and notice if the pin is to short or to long, here is where the problem lays!

My TWO cents, just in case can help someone else.

Ok, I tried.  Best of luck to you.

CD in Oklahoma

Sadly this seems to be an on going problem with some YouTube ( and other sites), once incorrect information is posted , it seem that people think it is gospel.

Shame he did not remove it when you pointed it out to him, rather then saying "he no longer had the machine and couldn’t look into that person’s problem."

I think he has ruined his other Video's as being educational.

Thanks for trying CD.

Bert.

18 minutes ago, Bert51 said:

Sadly this seems to be an on going problem with some YouTube ( and other sites), once incorrect information is posted , it seem that people think it is gospel.

Shame he did not remove it when you pointed it out to him, rather then saying "he no longer had the machine and couldn’t look into that person’s problem."

I think he has ruined his other Video's as being educational.

I like his Videos  but I agree. However most of us are not professionals and when you don´t have machines to compare its not easy to figure out wether you are wrong or not - or if just the other guy is wrong.

Best advise always is - READ THE FXCKING MANUAL

However manuals often do not tell all the details but they are (in most cases) are the best source for 1st hand information!