I am new to machine sewing... heck i never handled a sewing machine before but i just acquired a used juki walking foot. i just learned that by using a servo motor it would help me with speed control. will this be sufficient our should i still buy a speed reducer? or maybe i just wait and see if this will be ok with me without the speed reducer?

If you can buy the servo and speed reducer locally, I would try just the servo first - you may be perfectly satisfied with it.  If you find it still sews faster than you like, then buy a smaller pulley for the motor and/or a speed reducer.  However, if you have to pay shipping it might be less expensive to order both together.

Personally, I have speed reducers on all three of my machines because I like to go really slow!

Gary

I've run Juki walking foot machines with and without a speed reducer.  I like both just fine.  If I was setting up a machine with servo only, I would for sure install a 45mm motor pulley.  They cost about $2 on eBay.

Good luck.

garypl and Pintodeluxe have both offered some good advice. The short answer is Yes put a servo motor on the machine it will give you better speed control. Clutch motors have a much steeper learning curve, are always running, more noisy, use more electricity and can be very intimidating to the first time user. What model Juki did you get and what are you planning on making?

kgg

I just purchased within the last month two new sewing machines. A Cowboy CB3200 and a Juki DNU-1541. Both have servo motors and the Cowboy also has a speed reducer. The speed reducer on the Cowboy allows me to very comfortably stop the needle in any position of its stroke, for instance if I want the needle poking down into the leather so I can lift the foot and make a turn. This is with the servo controller itself tuned to its lowest speed.
The Juki has a servo motor buy no speed reducer. The servo controller on the Juki can also be tuned via turning a knob. I have it at its lowest setting which will still reliably run the machine as when its turned down all the way, there's not enough motor torque to run the machine against its own resistance. Anyway, at this setting I can still run quite slowly and USUALLY stop the needle in its stroke where I want it. I'm getting much better at it, but it has taken just a little bit of practice. All in all, I'm still very happy with the Juki and don't really feel that I need a speed reducer with it. Just be aware that the foot control is more touchy without the reducer. I've learned just to give it a slight push to get the needle going, and if I push just a little harder the needle stitches at a constant quicker rate...defining where that borderline is, is the key and takes some practice to get a feel for it.  With the Cowboy and the speed reducer, that window is much larger.

Depends on what you plan to sew, a servo might work, or a servo with a reduced pulley. How many stitches per inch are you interested in? The shorter the stitch, the easier it is to saw. If you have to stitch 4 SPI/6mm stitches, it can be hard to control at first.

On 6/11/2019 at 2:34 AM, DrmCa said:

Depends on what you plan to sew, a servo might work, or a servo with a reduced pulley. How many stitches per inch are you interested in? The shorter the stitch, the easier it is to saw. If you have to stitch 4 SPI/6mm stitches, it can be hard to control at first.

thanks for the advice... that is something new to me. :-) 

Finally i installed the servo motor and i'm pleased with it. Seems much more controllable than my clutch. am Now planning to install a 45 mm pulley and see if it can be made to a crawl. I plan to use it for all types of leatherwork. Shifting from hand stitching to machine stitching aint no walk in the part for someone who has never used a sewing machine in his life. lol.