JayInOz

Blade Dimensions for Five Inch Dixon Plough Gauge

I have an old plough gauge that belonged to my Dad. It's missing the blade, so I bought a stupidly expensive piece of D2 tool steel and will make one. Does anyone in internet land have one and could they give me the dimensions of the blade please? Position of the slot- distance from rear of blade etc.? I don't suppose it really matters what my blade looks like as long as it has a good cutting edge at the business end, but I would like to make it somewhat resemble the original. Any help appreciated. JayInOz

9 hours ago, JayInOz said:

I would like to make it somewhat resemble the original.

I have a Geo. Barnsley plough gauge. I can get you a pic that blade if its any help?

12 hours ago, JayInOz said:

old plough gauge

Do a google search "site:leatherworker.net dixon plough gauge" (without the quotes) and pick images.  There are lots of photos.  You'll see the layout and may be able to estimate overall dimensions based on your plough gauge.

Tom

Thanks fellers. I've been looking at photos. I'll just take a stab at dimensions and see how I go. One more question though- how far back from the roller is the cutting edge of the blade? Quarter inch? More? Does it matter? JayInOz

17 minutes ago, JayInOz said:

One more question though- how far back from the roller is the cutting edge of the blade? Quarter inch? More? Does it matter?

@bruce johnson Can you provide some input here?  Thanks

Tom

It's been a while since I used mine, but IIRC, I get a better cut if the blade is about a quarter inch or so from the roller. Too far and I get some variation in width of the strap because the leather can move about, and too close allows the roller (which is a little loose on my cutter) to contact the cutting edge.

I have 2 here, one is really worn and the other like new still. Can't get either of them any closer than 1/2 inch from the roller due to the slot it sits in. The new one is 1 inch from the cutting edge to the slot, 2 inches high with the cutting edge angled to about 20 degrees, this stops the leather riding up the blade. Slot is 1/2 inch high by 1 inch long.