Sign in to follow this  
Allotment17

Is this a good starter kit?

Hello, I'm new to the site and looking to try my hand at leather work. I have a sewing with fabric background but feel I want up my game to creating leather goods. Initially I have in mind to start with a key fob followed by card holder, pencil case, wallet then tool bag. I have been researching by reading and watching YouTube clips. I have an idea of the tools and consumables I would need to get started but trying to buy them all seems to mean purchasing from many different suppliers and incurring considerable postage charges along with the cost of each item. This led me to look for a starter kit but most I found didn't look too good or were suspiciously low priced. I have seen this kit at Identity Leather and would like advice as to wether this would be a good kit to get me started. 

https://www.identityleathercraft.com/index.php/leather-craft-kits/workshop-in-a-box-leathercraft-starter-pack.html

Thank you. 

p.s. I am in the UK

2 hours ago, Allotment17 said:

would like advice as to wether this would be a good kit to get me started. 

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

The worst thing with kits like you have mentioned in your post, is the cost they charge for accumulating the tools. Two hundred & twenty five pounds seems quite high to me. 

That Stanley knife might be OK, but they might have a ridiculous price on it when you buy it in the kit. You can buy a similar knife quite cheap in Australia, so I am assuming you can in the UK.

Some of the other speciality tools might be lower quality that bend, don't hold an edge or break easily. It's difficult to know without actually knowing the supplier and specifications of each tool or having seen this kit previously.

Personally, I would (if I could) make a trip to a supplier to get some ideas about leather types and suitability for which purpose, get some tools in your hands and ask questions about their uses.

As for your thought to make some small projects in the beginning, great idea. But you might fine that a dozen or 20 of an identical small project, (like a key fob to give as gifts to family and friends) will help you learn a lot.

After cutting out that many similar items, you will more about cutting leather. Then after stamping, edging, dyeing, you will know more about each process. Always save each piece, even if it has a mistake design alteration, because it can be handy for testing out the next process.

I didn't see any stamping tools either.  not sure if you want to put any tooling on your projects.

this may sound weird, but do you have a Hobby Lobby or Michaels over there?  they sell a few small projects.  Making one of them will give you an idea of what you need. they also have scrap leather and some tools

This is an excellent well thought out kit I have been pointing people towards. The tools are of medium to higher quality. I have most of them and use them all the time. The punches are top notch as well as the dividers. The knife is good as well. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153433833827

Looking closely at this kit, it also includes a cutting mat, a pounding board for punching and an acrylic template for the wallet. I have the wallet set and carried that wallet for about a years. It was a good wallet.

If you can afford it you may want to step up to the next in which the pricking irons are very nice.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153432722499

Both kits will get you going and take a minute to arrive from China. I have had dealings with Wuta for over three years and they have never let me down.

While you are waiting, start reading here. 

Edited by bikermutt07

The wooden mallet ( toy croquet mallet ) in the kit that the OP linked to is all I need to see..
It says
Run Away!!! Fast !!!

And then , like bikermutt07 says..look around here / read here for a few weeks..

Each time you want to find out about something type this next line into Google, exactly like it is..But where I typed the word something you put the word or words that you are interested in..

site:leatherworker.net something

The way works is the
site:
part says "restrict the search to the website that comes after the" :
The site ( in this case ) is leatherworker.net
Then there is a space like t his
That says the next word or words after the space are what I'm searching for
Works for any website

Begin with this one..Happy searching :)

HTH :)

Le Prevo probably has all you need to get started in one shop. Only exception is scrap/offcuts but there's some reasonably inexpensive hides available, either in their regular or clearance ranges.

Dont forget Tandy, even though the UK shops are closed, there is still their online store

https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/

oopsy

Edited by fredk

20 hours ago, Allotment17 said:

Hello, I'm new to the site and looking to try my hand at leather work. I have a sewing with fabric background but feel I want up my game to creating leather goods. Initially I have in mind to start with a key fob followed by card holder, pencil case, wallet then tool bag. I have been researching by reading and watching YouTube clips. I have an idea of the tools and consumables I would need to get started but trying to buy them all seems to mean purchasing from many different suppliers and incurring considerable postage charges along with the cost of each item. This led me to look for a starter kit but most I found didn't look too good or were suspiciously low priced. I have seen this kit at Identity Leather and would like advice as to wether this would be a good kit to get me started. 

https://www.identityleathercraft.com/index.php/leather-craft-kits/workshop-in-a-box-leathercraft-starter-pack.html

Thank you. 

p.s. I am in the UK

I have some basic starter kits left over from some classes. They have most of that kit but at 1/10 the price

I don't want to put them up here but if you PM me I'll send you the list of items and price

Thank you everyone for your replies to my post and welcomes to the board. I really appreciate the sound advice given and I'm very glad I asked the question. 

Hi and welcome,

I've just started as well there are some things on Amazon that aren't to bad there leather knives that cut straight out of the box

I've been getting my leather from JT Batchelors they have quite a range of stock they don't have a website the shop is worth a visit if your near London

they have a scrap bin you can root through at £2 a Kg you've just got a lot of choice of different leathers to learn on cheaply 

P.M. me I'll send you the contact details