Sign in to follow this  
archerydude

sewing machine oils

Just bought my first machine Adler 105-8 and I want to make sure she's oiled (she's a bit dry) before I run her what oil should I use and where in the UK should I get some?

thanks in advance

Conrad 

you need to use sewing machine oil. Try a local knitting/sewing shop.

Any type of mineral oil will do in a pinch, including baby oil.  Sewing Machine Oil, including Lily White and Singer Machine Oil (SMO) is basically mineral oil.  Mineral oil is a catch-all name for several types of liquid paraffin oil.  The highest grades of paraffin oil are medical grades, which are sometimes used as a laxative and are generally safe for internal use.  The key characteristics needed of a sewing machine oil are: resistance to residue buildup, low staining, low flamability (but NOT inflamable, it will burn), good surface tension/capillary action, and relatively low cost.   Idealy, you would want a low viscosity oil with decent surface tension.  This allows the oil to seep into the wicks and small areas of a machine, while the capillary action will pull the oil into the small clearances of parts.  

Edited by SolarLeatherMachines
added more info

8 minutes ago, SolarLeatherMachines said:

Any type of mineral oil will do in a pinch, including baby oil.

Thanks I was thinking along the lines of a light hydraulic oil a 32 or 68

22 minutes ago, archerydude said:

Thanks I was thinking along the lines of a light hydraulic oil a 32 or 68

Added more info.  
That would probably work, but be wary of staining characteristics and residue build up.  

Story time:  before I got into sewing machines, I was working leather.  I had just purchased a new 441 clone, and decided to oil it.  I had just finished engineering school where I had done extensive testing on oils and their wear properties.  I knew that Royal Purple was high on the list of performance, and I had a bottle on my shelf.  So, yep, I oiled down my 441 with purple oil.     AND.....it stained every piece of leather for MONTHS.  seriously.  I had to oil that thing about 16 more times to wash it out.   Ugh, such a mistake.  Don't do what i did.  

Edited by SolarLeatherMachines
i cAnT sPeLL

Hi thanks for the update that's why I asked the question before I did any thing I know how much olive oil darkens leather

I'd rather look like an idiot:unsure: asking to many questions than do it all twice 

I would check out your local sewing machine store or order online some industrial sewing machine oil. My red neck concoction that I use for oiling hard to get too parts and old singers consists of 7cc's of Royal Purple Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-20 for gas engines and 5 cc's of Motormaster Full Synthetic Dexron- VI Automatic Transmission Fluid mixed together. I have not had any problems using this mix in old Singers or in my Juki 1541s but still use clear sewing machine oil in the base of the Juki 1541s. I would forewarn anyone using oil other then recommended by the manufacturer that they would have to be willing to take the risk of voiding the warranty, broken parts etc. Staining of items can occur with any oil if not properly applied/used and my also depend on the tolerances of the machine as well as the condition of seals.

kgg