soarsing

May I ask, what’s a 29k good for?

Hi all,  I have a Singer 29K and would like to start using it. I’ve no experience of leather working, but I’d like to try some simple projects using this machine and would appreciate any opinions as to what type of projects this machine would lend itself best to? Many thanks 

For many years I used this type of machine for doing shoe and bag repairs and eventually became quite proficient in how to use one. For stitching on badges it is invaluable but for most manufacturing they don't do that good a job. What I would say that will be of help is to set aside a couple of full days and cut out a large heap of square bits of leather of some various thicknesses and stitch around the outsides WITHOUT turning the leather. The purpose of this is to learn the importance of keeping the thread positioned on the same side of the needle with each and every stitch. Play around with the thread tensions until it all becomes automatic and this includes the thread lift lever which most operators have not a clue how to set. In my opinion the only time to use them is when no other machine can do the job for some reason and with good designing that is almost never. Some jobs if designed like this phone pouch below may tempt you to try it out, but a lot of practice must happen first. Products that can be turned inside out meaning the stitching is not visible would be fine as well.

DSC04676_resize.JPG

I find scribing a light line on the leather first and then sewing stitch by stitch is the best way, as the jump action can easily have a mind of its own lightly pulling to either side even when the jump stitch is locked down. Tricky with only one hand on the leather and the other on the wheel, as Brian states lots of practice required but as the only machine it can be forced to do most things and threads up to #138, but 138 gives only a few feet of sewing per bobbin whilst 69 gives a lot more