freeturns

Help with a Juki 562

I purchased a Juki from a someone who had told me it was in running condition for a very reasonable price.. :no:

I got the machine timed, or at least have some practice doing it. Thanks to UWE! and Dyer!! However, i am having some difficulty with the right slide plate. The plate provided looks aftermarket, and catches on the bobbin case when sliding over.  I have attached some photos but the perspective is challenging. The slide plate contacts the part of bobbin case that holds the bobbin in. Do you think this is a slide plate issue, or a bobbin case issue? 

Also, from watching a lot of other youtube videos it seems that the bobbin case sits very high. 

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

The bed slide plates have a right and left design. The RH plate has a relieved area on its underside to allow clearance for the thread to pass over the bobbin assembly. See if the other plate has this relief on the underside, and swap them if so.

Closer inspection shows you DO have the correct RH plate. Sorry. You'll need to check the assembly of the hook to bobbin basket group of components to make sure they are assembled correctly.

-DC

Edited by SARK9

I just tried that!

The right slide does have relief under, and i can force the plate on but still catches on the bobbin lock? 

Anyhoo, I should be receiving a Juki plate on thursday, so maybe that was the issue? 

Thanks for the response!!! Also, i noticed in your signature you have a 563, any chance you could take photos of a similar angle? 

Edited by freeturns
request, formatting

When I look at your second Picture, I do not think the plate can be much thinner or at a higher position above the bobbin Lock. So agree on SARK9 remark on looking to the "bobbin basket group of components". For some reason they seems give a higher position than they should. You may not know the real storry to this machine - it may have been dropped and some components have moved or bended. 

Agree - hook is to high. Bobbin case opener is in a lower position than the bobbin case. I would loosen (not remove) the 2 set screws on the hook driving gear and push down the hook. Then tighten screws again.

Slide plate appears correct, looks like part number 240003, same as Singer 111W, should work 100% no problem on LU-562.

Information about the hook height adjustments are elusive, check out this from LU-1500N series, this may help give some indicators on how to adjust this.  LU-562 book does not include this.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Agree - hook is to high. Bobbin case opener is in a lower position than the bobbin case. I would loosen (not remove) the 2 set screws on the hook driving gear and push down the hook. Then tighten screws again.

Yesterday i spent some time attempting to adjust just this. There seems to be a small amount of vertical play in the worm gear. but no room for adjustment when the set screws were tightened. I thought about removing the thrust washer to see if that would give me more clearance, but ran out of allocated "tinker time"

50 minutes ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

Slide plate appears correct, looks like part number 240003, same as Singer 111W, should work 100% no problem on LU-562.

Information about the hook height adjustments are elusive, check out this from LU-1500N series, this may help give some indicators on how to adjust this.  LU-562 book does not include this.

OK! Well thats good to know!! Hopefully i didn't waste $13 i spent for the oem plate....Was there a link or page associated with this post? Quick google search was quite vague pulled up the page i needed!! I'll give it another go today afterwork! 

Thanks for hanging in there with me!!

Edited by freeturns

I think whoever had the machine apart last didn't seat the sewing hook assembly while timing the machine correctly by not setting it far enough down in the drive pinion Fig 23 before tightening the screws in Fig 22 item #2. What I would do is follow the instructions for "How to pull out the sewing hook from machine" page 19, clean, reinstall and then do the necessary adjustments on pages 16, 17 and 18 of the Juki LU-562 manual.

Good manual located at :

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/790496/Juki-Lu-562.html?page=13#manual

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

I think whoever had the machine apart last didn't seat the sewing hook assembly while timing the machine correctly by not setting it far enough down in the drive pinion Fig 23 before tightening the screws in Fig 22 item #2. What I would do is follow the instructions for "How to pull out the sewing hook from machine" page 19, clean, reinstall and then do the necessary adjustments on pages 16, 17 and 18 of the Juki LU-562 manual.

Good manual located at :

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/790496/Juki-Lu-562.html?page=13#manual

kgg

Well i got called off work, so i should have ample time today! Ive removed the hook assembly, cleaned everything again, and it's still sitting quite high in the case and contacting the plate. 

The hook is from a singer 111 which i can assume at this point should be interchangeable with the 562 part number 240556. Is there a chance that this is the wrong hook? I feel like i'm grasping at straws here. 

The bobbin case reads: 233764 which i can also deduct is from a 111. Again these parts "should-be" interchangeable, right?

Thanks again for the help! 

Edited by freeturns

Also check to make sure the upper hook shaft bearing sleeve (#6) and the lower one (#26) are seated fully into its mounting.  There is a set screw there I think that secures them into the frame.  See the diagram.

lu562_hook_assembly.jpg.828e4eb988c49c395e3aec2c76828f93.jpg

From what I can gather the Singer part # 240556 and the Juki part called vertical axis sewing hook assembly #B1830-055-0A0 should be interchangeable. If you check " hensewfiles.com/PDF/Juki LU-562.pdf " section 3. Sewing Hook & Shaft Components the one on the left is a 562 assembly while the one on the right is a 563. These drawings are really clear and may help you with checking how things look and go together. Like davemac suggested it could be sleeves not seated properly.

kgg

Oh the craigslist woahs'... :helpsmilie:

Can anyone take and post some photos for me? details of the bobbin assembly!? I'd be eternally grateful and send you a copy of my favorite book!!? 

6 hours ago, davemac2 said:

Also check to make sure the upper hook shaft bearing sleeve (#6) and the lower one (#26) are seated fully into its mounting.  There is a set screw there I think that secures them into the frame.  See the diagram.

lu562_hook_assembly.jpg.828e4eb988c49c395e3aec2c76828f93.jpg

Does anyone know how a brass bushing could be moved without a drift? I'll check the bushings tonight, do you know if these seat flush into the casting?

3 hours ago, kgg said:

From what I can gather the Singer part # 240556 and the Juki part called vertical axis sewing hook assembly #B1830-055-0A0 should be interchangeable. If you check " hensewfiles.com/PDF/Juki LU-562.pdf " section 3. Sewing Hook & Shaft Components the one on the left is a 562 assembly while the one on the right is a 563. These drawings are really clear and may help you with checking how things look and go together. Like davemac suggested it could be sleeves not seated properly.

kgg

Thanks, thats what i was gathering as well.  The hook assembly that came with the machine is missing the tension spring and one screw, instead of trying to the whole thing (+$125 ) i just bought a new bobbin basket.  

Thanks for the attention and ya'll's help, i appreciate it!!

Here is the area of question. To me, albeit not a machine mechanic, but good with cars and other motors etc. these brass bushings seem to be in the right place. It'd be difficult to think how these would be out of place. 

I attached a few photos.   

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

My thought process of elimination for the height problem would be to move the main drive gear in the second photo as far right as possible so it would make no contact with the hook assembly. Then slide the hook assembly back in place. This would be too see if the hook assembly will seat down lower. If it did seat lower then maybe it is just the placement of where / how the main drive gear contacts the hook assembly gear and its placement on the hook assembly shaft. If the hook assembly does not seat lower then I think the cause would probably be related to the top bushing being not seated deep enough, an incorrect bushing or something else preventing the assembly from going lower down.  

Ya those bushings look ok, but the upper could be slightly off.  Someone would need to compare against another lu562.  So that leaves either the hook is the wrong one (doubtful) or the #5 bobbin case opening lever link is not seating fully onto the eccentric of the hook shaft, or it is the wrong part maybe and is too thick?  What happens if you don't put that link onto the hook shaft and just seat the hook shaft fully against the upper bushing?  Does it meet the slide plate clearance then?  The other thing is that with the bolt (#16) and washer (#17) that secures the hook frame to the machine frame, you could add shim washer above #15 in the diagram to drop the whole hook assembly a little down below the top slide plate to get your clearance, but then that might throw other things off such as the proper gear meshing on the hook drive.

20 hours ago, davemac2 said:

Ya those bushings look ok, but the upper could be slightly off.  Someone would need to compare against another lu562.  So that leaves either the hook is the wrong one (doubtful) or the #5 bobbin case opening lever link is not seating fully onto the eccentric of the hook shaft, or it is the wrong part maybe and is too thick?  What happens if you don't put that link onto the hook shaft and just seat the hook shaft fully against the upper bushing?  Does it meet the slide plate clearance then?  The other thing is that with the bolt (#16) and washer (#17) that secures the hook frame to the machine frame, you could add shim washer above #15 in the diagram to drop the whole hook assembly a little down below the top slide plate to get your clearance, but then that might throw other things off such as the proper gear meshing on the hook drive.

Thanks for the suggestions Dave! 

The bobbin shaft assembly without the #5 lever link seats in the same position as with the link installed. I was thinking about shimming the bottom too! However, i'm not sure how that will change the gear mesh interface. I have a new bobbin case arriving today. Hopefully that will be it! 

Thanks! 

An update: 

Still haven't received my parts... I'll repost when i get them installed. 

Ok! 

Purchased a few items, keeping me right close to my budget.  Ordered a new hook assembly, slid it in and not to my surprise makes contact with the right slide plate.  Still scratching my head on this one.  I think tonight i'll try out dave's suggestion and place the shim (4+ stamped on it) on the other side and re-time and see how we look.  Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'll keep tabs if anyone has any other interesting ideas! 

Thanks!!!!

This is a puzzle. I suppose, that when you find the problem it is quite simple. But now it is hard, and it has been so for some time.

I just like to ask this question. What prevents the new hook assembly to go further down as it should? Are you able to put in small strips of paper or thread to feel where this hook assembly is stopped in its movement downwards?

Juki offers a various size thrust washers, see the chart for reference.  HOWEVER, standard is 1.3mm, and thinnest is 1mm.  I really doubt this is going to get it to where we want it, but I would check the thrust washer thickness to make sure it's not way out of bounds.

Another way to fix this 'out in the field' is to jamb something between the hook saddle and bed frame to bring this hook lower.  Plastic from a milk carton comes to mind.  You would not be the first or the last person to fix a machine of this type like this.  

HookSaddleFrame.jpg.676c01742186cce29a5bb92e3014a08f.jpgLUHookHeightImage.jpg.700bd30aaeebed49f4f7a6e42f117945.jpgLUHookHeightProcedure.jpg.86b5752f5f972f51575309643f78496f.jpgLUBushingWasherSizes.jpg.85cf5e9959f85cf457fd922dfb1ff799.jpg

I'm continually amazed at the depth of answers this forum brings.  Amazing breadth of information and expertise here!  Thanks to all who contribute.  

On 7/12/2019 at 3:19 AM, Gymnast said:

This is a puzzle. I suppose, that when you find the problem it is quite simple. But now it is hard, and it has been so for some time.

I just like to ask this question. What prevents the new hook assembly to go further down as it should? Are you able to put in small strips of paper or thread to feel where this hook assembly is stopped in its movement downwards?

I'm so looking forward to finding the "easy" solution....

Yes, the hook assembly rests on the top of the thrust washer with or without the "opening lever crank" installed.  

On 7/12/2019 at 6:29 AM, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

Juki offers a various size thrust washers, see the chart for reference.  HOWEVER, standard is 1.3mm, and thinnest is 1mm.  I really doubt this is going to get it to where we want it, but I would check the thrust washer thickness to make sure it's not way out of bounds.

Another way to fix this 'out in the field' is to jamb something between the hook saddle and bed frame to bring this hook lower.  Plastic from a milk carton comes to mind.  You would not be the first or the last person to fix a machine of this type like this.  

I flipped the washer and "shimmed" the saddle, seems like plenty of clearance now.  Just need to get my calipers back from a friend.  I'm going to try and time the machine and see how it does.  Thanks for the input!!

On 7/12/2019 at 10:53 AM, Pintodeluxe said:

I'm continually amazed at the depth of answers this forum brings.  Amazing breadth of information and expertise here!  Thanks to all who contribute.  

Agreed, I have not been a member long, but am so very grateful for the answers and ideas that have come forth thus far! Thanks!