cmdavis

First Holster - First Anything

So I'm brand new to leather working. I was looking at custom holsters online and was like you know what I'm going to learn to do that, so I did. I learned some tricks along the way that will make the one I'm working on now go a lot smoother (I've already got 7 requests to make holsters and a radio holster, belt and shield for a helmet). I'm super happy with how mine turned out though.  

62355315_1531514763640431_8228864521150660608_n.jpg

64218301_1531516133640294_8132855208762933248_n.jpg

64219493_1531514986973742_654265734137905152_n.jpg

64230948_1531517900306784_834047039309348864_n.jpg

64276001_1531516470306927_5650213242358726656_n.jpg

Hi nice job one thing i would like to point out  looks like you need to get some stitching closer to the gun . and it looks like your all set for it but over all first holster very good job !

Well, that is really darn good for a first holster.  Far better than mine was!  That was very clever to make it so that it can be worn as a belt slide or IWB.  

As Tony suggested, you need to have the stitching right up against the gun.  It's not too late to ADD that.  Also, there needs to be more room for a full firing grip while the gun is in the holster.  That's not as easy to fix now.  Next time, leave a little more room. 

Your art work is nice.  

nick

2 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Well, that is really darn good for a first holster.  Far better than mine was!  That was very clever to make it so that it can be worn as a belt slide or IWB.  

As Tony suggested, you need to have the stitching right up against the gun.  It's not too late to ADD that.  Also, there needs to be more room for a full firing grip while the gun is in the holster.  That's not as easy to fix now.  Next time, leave a little more room. 

Your art work is nice.  

nick

I concur. It will stretch and become loose if you don’t add stitch lines right up tight to the gun.

Yup, you could easily bring the next one in a couple inches on the leading and trailing edge.  Looks like you got the idea, and teh art work is fine.  But you certainly could reduce the bulk, especially in the pants.

Is that just one holster?  Cuz that second pic throwin' me off a tad, I reckon ;)

Maybe you lined the back panel, and just hadn't added the holster stitch lines yet in that pic #2 (?).

Edited by JLSleather

Awesome job, especially and unbelievably for your first!  Keep up the great work and show us your projects along the way.  There is some good constructive criticism above and you can learn from it of course.  You will be amazed at how you come along from this starting point, and you have started well!  Good job!

18 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Yup, you could easily bring the next one in a couple inches on the leading and trailing edge.  Looks like you got the idea, and teh art work is fine.  But you certainly could reduce the bulk, especially in the pants.

Is that just one holster?  Cuz that second pic throwin' me off a tad, I reckon ;)

Maybe you lined the back panel, and just hadn't added the holster stitch lines yet in that pic #2 (?).

It is! Yea I wasn't thinking when I grooved it that I wouldn't be stitching the sweat guard to anything, so I just stitched it for looks. 

And yes!! I definitely need to go back in and stitch closer to the gun. I'm not sure why I had it in my head that the stitch lines on my template were that far out from the gun, but it is a bit too loose even now. 

Thank you everyone!

As others have said, it looks great for a first effort!  I also like your holster filler!  I need to make a holster for mine.

20 hours ago, olfart said:

As others have said, it looks great for a first effort!  I also like your holster filler!  I need to make a holster for mine.

Thank you!! Holster filler :lol:

Great job ... wish my "first anything" looked that good ... keep at it !

58 minutes ago, dannyd said:

Great Holster, but where did you belt clips?

Thank you! I ordered them from Amazon. 

BTW, a good resource for some of the things that we use, like belt loops, various hardware, gun molds,  vacuum presses, mechanical presses and foams, can be sourced from www.knifekits.com

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

18 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

BTW, a good resource for some of the things that we use, like belt loops, various hardware, gun molds,  vacuum presses, mechanical presses and foams, can be sourced from www.knifekits.com

nick

Thank you! I will check them out. I hadn't ran across them yet. 

Good job.  Your enthusiasm is infectious.  This old craft needs you and a whole lot more just like you to move it forward with new ideas, new designs, new thinking.  There's a group on Facebook, six thousand strong, mostly young people like yourself who are doing some incredible leatherwork.  Check them out  if you get a chance.  

Nice job CM!

Over here in the UK we're not allowed handguns so we're not down with the holster thing but anyone can see and admire the work and effort you put into it. Well done.

On 6/28/2019 at 11:51 PM, toxo said:

Nice job CM!

Over here in the UK we're not allowed handguns so we're not down with the holster thing but anyone can see and admire the work and effort you put into it. Well done.

Thank you so much!!

My very first '''leather anything', was  messing about with a scrap bit of leather, I even messed that up , but that looks great  :specool:

HS 

On 7/1/2019 at 8:24 AM, Handstitched said:

My very first '''leather anything', was  messing about with a scrap bit of leather, I even messed that up , but that looks great  :specool:

HS 

Thank you!!