Hi, got a newbie question about the acrylic painting. I scored some 7x7mm squares on a piece of 4-5 oz veg tan leather and trying to paint different color on the squares. The problem is always that the paint cannot get even that within a square some area thicker, some thinner. I tried to dilute the acrylic paint a bit, also tried the second layer, still cannot get it even. Anyone any suggestion? I did put on fiebing's dye-prep before putting on the paint.

This is my first post after membership got approved last night. Thanks!

You want completely even over areas like 7 x7 ..( you mean centimetres ( cm ) ? ; because 7 x 7 millimetres (mm) is tiny..
7x7 mm , to get even colouring with acrylics or any colouring type is easy..just make the leather a little damp ( not enough to "case" it ) before you paint the acrylics on..

Btw..you don't say what kind of "acrylics" ..they are not all the same..not all are suitable for leather..

If your squares are 7 cm x 7cm ? the only way you are going to get truly "even coverage" with any acrylics, is with an airbrush and masking off the squares that you do not want to colour..

Edited by mikesc
clarification

I used Fiebing acrylic paint, later I also tried Angelus metalic gold, same effect.

yes the squares are in 7x7mm, on a 2-fold wallet.

I thought the Fiebing's "Dye-Prep" solution is good enough before putting the acrylic paint on.......I'll try make it a bit damp and see what happens. Thanks Mike!

Just tried on Fiebing acrylic red on a damp 7x7mm square. doesn't seem to have much change. I still see spots of the red pigment piled up. I put the original picture below.......I like acrylic paint because they're bright and easy to mix for other color. The leather dye will not have such problem, but their colors are not that vivid. 

Any suggestion for evening out the paint?

sample.jpg

Edited by neckbender

Umm, maybe it is one of "those monitor things" where colours look different on different monitors ?..
But I don't see any red there..I see a blue / green, a white and a yellow, ( with a black band running from top bottom of the right hand side ) all the coloured squares have "ragged " edges, but within those edges, all 3 colours look "even", no lumps or more "saturated" spots.. ?

Edited by mikesc
typo

Considering the fact that acrylic paint has a good hiding power, I would recommend to paint the whole area with white color first. And after that, paint the individual squares with the necessary colors. This will help you get rid of the unpainted areas on the borders of the squares.