Mattiek

Help: Card Wallet Cards Bowing Outward

Hey everyone,

New to this forum and leatherworking also.  This is my first real project with leatherworking. I am currently working on a card type wallet and I have been running into issues with the cards, once inserted, wanting to bow out of the wallet. I started with a wallet that was 4" long and the cards would bow when inserted so I made the wallet longer (4-1/8") but still have this issue. I am pretty stumped because I do not want to go any wider and going wider didn't alleviate any of the pressure on the cards. One thought I had was making the "arms" on the upper pocket shorter. Again, I am not quite sure what the issue is here but was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.  Any advice is greatly appreciated and I have pictures below of the larger wallet to show the issue I am having (dont mind the awful edge paint job!). Thank you!

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

58240825289__4B07ECB2-6DC6-4F88-99B6-B0A390BDB781.JPG

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

3 hours ago, Mattiek said:

One thought I had was making the "arms" on the upper pocket shorter

Good thought.
The bottom pocket is squeezing the cards around the T-pocket 'body'.

Make the T 'arms' shorter.
Skive down the T to a feather edge.
Use thinner leather.

That should help a bit.

Don't join the 2 centre pockets until you have built each side. Build each side by laying your card down over the centre piece and keeping it flat whilst attaching the next pocket and then same with another card before the next pocket. Make it form the shape and not lift the bottom piece as you go. It would be easier to leave your tabs a little long and trim them on the run after you stick down each pocket. Put a couple of cards in the centre before attaching them together.

Are you gluing before you stitch? And are you relishing the glue after with a bone folder afterwards? 

You could also try leaving 1 card in the top slot, then finding 2 old cards or buy some blanks (found 20 for $8 just web search) and shove them in the bottom slot to help stretch the pocket out and relieve some of the tension.  The pockets are just too tight with the first card/leather thickness of the top pocket.  It will break in with use, but you can speed up the process and keep from bending your cards by using two cards and massaging the leather.  Or if its veg-tanned, wet the whole wallet and shove the cards in there while wet and work the leather, loosening and kind of wet forming the pockets with the cards in there.  Good luck.

Having this same problem with a shell wallet I just made... 

did any of the things suggested actually work? Obviously this wallet is already completed but definitely want to avoid this in the future! (Photo looks exactly like the one posted above, too much trouble to resize my pic)

Ok. I didn’t thin down the inner pockets really so I’ll try that and see how it’s goes.