tturtle

Lining a laptop sleeve

Hey,

I'm planning to make a laptop sleeve from 6oz Horween Dublin and finish the edges with Giardini edge paint. I want to line the inside of it with a non-marring material that won't shed on my laptop. I'm unsure of what material to line it with. Suede, pigskin, cloth, something else?

Any tips that could help me with this project?  Should I use contact cement or spray adhesive to adhere the lining?

Thanks!

I'd use pigskin suede, glued to the main leather

Whatever you use, make sure you allow the thickness of that material in your overall measurements.

Spray adhesive will be faster but messier, do it outside if you can and get the automotive stuff they use for headliners. The craft stuff is garbage.

Thank you all!  I decided on a thin pigskin suede, and was planning on using 3M Super 77 spray but i'll take a look at the headliner adhesives.

Thanks again!

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:45 AM, tturtle said:

3M Super 77 spray

I seem to remember somebody hereabouts, saying 'most of the 3M spray adhesives give less than desirable results for adhering leather, except for the 90', but I cannot find the post ...

I ended up using 3M 90 spray.  It was a bit messy but seemed to have adhered well; we will see how it lasts.  Overall I'm happy with how it turned out.  I placed both pieces on scrap cardboard, sprayed them with the adhesive, and used a brayer to ensure there were no wrinkles.

4.jpg

1.jpg

That turned out really great. I love the "distressed" look of the leather, could you share the source please?

tturtle said it was 6 oz Horween Dublin.

Sorry about that. Once I saw that there were pictures my reading comprehension just kind of went away.

17 hours ago, akguy59 said:

Sorry about that. Once I saw that there were pictures my reading comprehension just kind of went away.

:lol: