24VOLTS

Puritan high post machine

Hello guys,

I’ve got a Puritan high post sewing machine for sale near me that I’m curious and interested in. It’s for sewing thick leather, single needle. I was wondering if anyone else has one and what you’re using it for?  Any feedback or information would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

Phill

Puritan sewing machines have been around for a long time and have a great reputation for stitching / durability for handling thick leather in a production environment. The only concern for some folks is that they are Chain stitch machines not lock stitch. That may or may not matter to you depending on what you want to due with the machine. Depending on the age, overall condition and of course the cost it maybe a good buy. If you had some more info and pictures someone familiar with those machines could make some more detailed comments. 

kgg

Puritan chainstitch machines are used where the bottom thread is not visible and is covered/protected by a layer of leather, wood, cloth, or padding. You find this machine's stitching on rifle cases, briefcases, golf bags, boots and tall shoes (e.g., RedWing boots) and some luggage. Puritan machines are needle and awl machines with a jump foot.

When these machines were first produced they used linen thread run through heated bees wax in a wax pot on top. Nowadays people use bonded thread in Puritan stitchers.

Most Puritan stitchers can sew up to 3/4 inch of stacked/mixed material. Thicker stacks call for larger needles and awls and thicker thread.

Here's a sample off one we have showing the stitch on the bottomside.

Puritan Stitch.JPG

Some great information guys!  I appreciate your time. I saw this neat old machine and had to ask. I had no idea about a chain stitch. Thanks for taking the time to respond to this thread. After this information I don’t think this is the machine that will work for me. 

Thanks again!

Phill