PMCREATIONS

Help with very dirty Singer 111w155

PMCREATIONS,

Beside the Gojo, what else did you use for cleaning?  Looks good!

I used canned air to blow off the gojo. Then wd40 to rinse off the machine. Used steel wool and vinegar to get rust off parts. Then wiped it down with windex wipes. And oiled it to finish. 

You’ve really done a top job there, and I love the slide show. Talented!

When you took the needlebar assembly out did you only remove the bracket at the bottom in order to free it? I’m following the military handbook on disassembly instructions for needlebar removal and according to this booklet once that bracket is removed the unit just slides out. Mine doesn’t. 

Can you please tell me, did you have to do anything else to get it out? I really appreciate the advice I get on this forum, I couldn’t work on my machines otherwise. Thank you :)

4 hours ago, PMCREATIONS said:

I used canned air to blow off the gojo. Then wd40 to rinse off the machine. Used steel wool and vinegar to get rust off parts. Then wiped it down with windex wipes. And oiled it to finish.

Well done.  I've never tried WD-40 as a rinsing material.  When you say, "and oiled it to finish", do you mean all of the surfaces to bring up a shine or just the moving metal-on-metal surfaces (as usual)?

Restoring these old machines is such a blast!  My second favorite thing.

2 hours ago, Evo160K said:

Well done.  I've never tried WD-40 as a rinsing material.  When you say, "and oiled it to finish", do you mean all of the surfaces to bring up a shine or just the moving metal-on-metal surfaces (as usual)?

Restoring these old machines is such a blast!  My second favorite thing.

Oiled the surface to reduce risk of rust forming and the parts that need oil to function.

3 hours ago, Mizzy said:

You’ve really done a top job there, and I love the slide show. Talented!

When you took the needlebar assembly out did you only remove the bracket at the bottom in order to free it? I’m following the military handbook on disassembly instructions for needlebar removal and according to this booklet once that bracket is removed the unit just slides out. Mine doesn’t. 

Can you please tell me, did you have to do anything else to get it out? I really appreciate the advice I get on this forum, I couldn’t work on my machines otherwise. Thank you :)

I actually didn't take anything apart on mine. I know it's not the right way but I used pipe cleaners and brushes to just reach into places to clean. 

PMCREATIONS,

You might experiment with wiping the metal surfaces with minerals spirits.  I find it protects them from rust almost indefinitely, plus they can be painted at any time... after dusting, of course.