farns005

How do I keep antique from flaking off?

I made this belt as a shoulder strap for a computer bag.  Herman Oak, oil, 1 coat TanKote, Fiebings Mahogany antique, 2 coats TanKote.  When I folded/bent the belt the antique flaked out of the center of the wire as you can see in the buckle.  Continued all up the belt.  Any suggestions?  I really liked the look and recognize it he antique was pretty thick in centers but hoped it would hold.  Thank for any suggestions.

Kelly

5E267FCA-ECDF-4EE0-9D29-121D2BA99831.jpeg

I am sure some folks with more experience will chime in but my guess is the TanKote before the antique caused the antique to not penetrate the leather and just sit on top causing it to flake off.

Antiquing I don't believe was ever meant to color in places like you're trying to accomplish here...it was meant only as a highlight. Its obvious here to me that the paste was left on the belt much thicker than it was ever meant to be. The idea is to lightly apply a resist (tan kote works) to seal up the high spots, then to spread the antiquing paste over the entire piece. After letting the paste sit for 15 or 20 minutes it is then wiped off vigorously. The low areas which got very little resist are now highlighted. At least this is the way that I understand it. To do what you want to do I would suggest you paint with a dye or an acrylic to get that desired affect.

My best guess is you didn't remove all of the paste. You need to use a piece of wool, either synthetic or real, to get the antique out of all the cracks, etc.  If you trying to use a rag or paper towel you are not getting it all.  Your sequence of applying is correct.  You don't have to let the antique sit for any period time.  It doesn't make any difference.

Terry

My experience using tancote and antique is that the first thing I put on the finished work is a light neatsfoot oil then rub on the antique and then finish with tancote.  If the tancote goes on before the antique it will block the antique from penetrating well into your impressions.  I would take Lexol or some other leather cleaner and wipe off what you have and start over.  I really like your design and work otherwise.

If a resist is used before the antique, the antique will remain only in cuts and textured areas.  If the area where the antique is flaking off is not textured, that is your problem.  The purpose of the resist coat is just that, to resist, and there has to be a way for the antique to adhere and remain.  If the leather is smooth, and then has the TanKote on top of it, the antique has nothing to adhere to.  I hope that made sense, and fwiw, I still have trouble with the resist/antique process occasionally.  It seems some pieces just want to give us grief.

Thanks everyone.  I knew I was using the antique to try and accomplish a look it wasn’t quite designed to do, but want highlight the barbwire.  Any suggestions without having to paint each line and center?  I tried using dye in each center on a practice piece but it bled into the wire.  Thanks for all thoughts and suggestions.

Kelly

36 minutes ago, kayw said:

My experience using tancote and antique is that the first thing I put on the finished work is a light neatsfoot oil then rub on the antique and then finish with tancote.  If the tancote goes on before the antique it will block the antique from penetrating well into your impressions.  I would take Lexol or some other leather cleaner and wipe off what you have and start over.  I really like your design and work otherwise.

Thanks I never thought about Lexol.  Does it take off TanKote and antique?

23 minutes ago, farns005 said:

Thanks everyone.  I knew I was using the antique to try and accomplish a look it wasn’t quite designed to do, but want highlight the barbwire.  Any suggestions without having to paint each line and center?  I tried using dye in each center on a practice piece but it bled into the wire.  Thanks for all thoughts and suggestions.

Kelly

try old fashioned shoe polish - the wax based stuff in a tin

Thanks never thought of shoe polish.  Worry that it will color everything not just the highlights I’m looking for, will give it a try.

This is where you've got to experiment with your design on some scrap leather pieces until you get exactly what you want and then go do it on your project. 

Nice work by the way!