Sheilajeanne

Singer Machine With Table and Motor

This is for sale, just down the road from me. Is this what they call a patcher?  How heavy a leather would it sew? (And would someone else hurry up and buy it before I'm tempted??)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2394687357264536/

Singer sewing machine.jpg

Edited by Sheilajeanne

4 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Is this what they call a patcher? 

Yes this is a Singer Patcher. If I were closer to me I won't hesitate particularly for $300. You maybe able to get it cheaper even. The Singer 29-70 is a short arm, small bobbin, with no side wheel while the Singer 29-71 is a short arm, small bobbin, with side wheel and the Singer 29-72 is a long arm, large bobbin, with side wheel. So from the photo I think it is a Singer 29-72 from the photo.

kgg

Okay, got the number from the seller, and it's a Singer 29K 51. I'm going to pass, because it won't sew anything thicker than about 1/4 ", and my current machine will do that. Plus, according to a post I saw on this site, it can be very hard to get parts for if anything breaks.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/51788-singer-29k51-info-wanted-keep-it-or-junk-it/?tab=comments#comment-330415

Still available, if anyone wants it....

Edited by Sheilajeanne

13 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

it won't sew anything thicker than about 1/4 "

Patchers are built for patching.  Shoe uppers, and other light stuff.  Main advantage is being able to sew in any direction as you can turn the presser foot 360 degrees.  So can sew up a sleeve or boot top, etc.  The teeth on the presser foot are aggressive as that is what drags the leather through the machine.  No bottom feed dogs.

A common usage is to sew badges, emblems, etc. on jackets without having to take half the jacket apart.

Tom

I use patchers to sew embroidered patches onto bikers' vests and jackets. They are the only machines, aside from freehand embroidery machines, that can sew patches over pockets, or between the leather and the lining. I make about 25% of my leather shop income sewing patches. Once the word gets out that you can sew patches, motorcycle clubs and individual riders will come to you.

I even sew patches on for an embroidery shop that makes patches but can't sew them on!

If you are or want to be in the leather business, get a patcher.

If you are or want to be in the leather business, get a patcher.

This :)

This is a very rural area. I was thinking if I did get another sewing machine, it would be something that could do simple horse tack repairs to bridles etc., which would require sewing something thicker than 1/4 inch.

But that's certainly a very good price, and I'm rethinking my decision. I'm retired now, and once I finish doing what needs to be done to my new home, I want to get more seriously into leather crafting.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

A patcher is also a perfect machine for repairing purse straps and tabs, as well as their zippers. For the small price the seller is asking, as long as it is in good sewing condition, it is a very good deal and will do work no other type of machine can do. I would try it before buying it.

Thanks for the advice, Wiz! I appreciate it.

Thanks Wiz. 

My Singer 107w1 managed sewing bike vest patches on quite well, but for multiple overlapped layers of suede, as in the pink eagle on my own bike vest (in my cover pic), I had to take it easy. I upgraded to a 111g156, which is excellent so far, but when I come across a patcher I’ll give it a try. 

1 hour ago, Mizzy said:

Thanks Wiz. 

My Singer 107w1 managed sewing bike vest patches on quite well, but for multiple overlapped layers of suede, as in the pink eagle on my own bike vest (in my cover pic), I had to take it easy. I upgraded to a 111g156, which is excellent so far, but when I come across a patcher I’ll give it a try. 

You can sew through a vest with just about any sewing machine that's powerful enough to punch holes and pull up the bobbin thread. But, what about sewing patches over pockets? Whatcha gonna do? That takes a universal feed patcher.