Lfrog

Benefit of having a splitter

In the process of setting up a workshop and have been offered a 470 wide splitting machine, apart from reducing thicker leather down, and saving on multiple thicknesses of hides, what other benefits are there from having a splitter?

What do workers use the "waste split" for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I find the split useful occasionally. Mostly for prototyping and such. However the major benefit of a splitter is that many leathers are only available in a certain few thicknesses. Being able to make all your leather pieces a consistent, specific thickness will improve the quality of your products.

What sort of splitter is it? A band-knife splitter is the most useful sort and if it's functional, affordable and you have the space it's a very handy piece of kit. I wouldn't be without mine, though I would be very jealous of the width if yours is a 470! They are a bit fiddly though.

Reduce inventory / save space >> no need to stock multiple thicknesses

Save time ordering >>>> same issue... call tannery, order one thickness, and you're done

Quality of goods >>>> Make ranger belts with billets lighter than main belt, or add straps to cases, etc.. by splitting the same leather for the main body, the color and texture of the entire project will match (nothing ruins a project quite like a billet that doesn't "quite" match)

A splitter is an absolute necessity for high quality leather work. Also, you can use the split leather for prototyping. 470 is a nice large size too. I bought a 300mm wide Camoga band knife splitter, and my efficiency is through the roof. I would highly suggest you take whoever up on that offer.

Additionally, you will have leather that would otherwise become scrap, but if thinned can be used in other parts of a project.  You will increase yields on a side or shoulder.

If the price is right, worth having.

YinTx

On 6/22/2019 at 7:02 PM, Lfrog said:

In the process of setting up a workshop and have been offered a 470 wide splitting machine, apart from reducing thicker leather down, and saving on multiple thicknesses of hides, what other benefits are there from having a splitter?

What do workers use the "waste split" for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you cant already see the need for one then you are probably not thinking of making the type off stuff that needs a splitter that much. I found that I needed one very early in my manufacturing and I would say that probably about 90% of the products I make have parts that need to be split. Best I can add to that is check out my web site and see the types of products there and perhaps my profile in the about me section as that will give you a broader view, here and there on the products not on my website. I now own 2 splitters, one a Comoga and the other an Albeko and aside from my own work I normally pick up a thousand or so a month splitting for other manufactures. My web site is https://wildharry.com.au if it is not showing below in a link already.

Most of the waste split is just that but I use a fair bit after I have split the belt backings for fillers in the dress belts as below. The last picture below shows a stack that I get to cut into strips and split every couple of months for some friendly belt making competitor. That is a lot of belt filler splits I am  left over to be used.:P

DSC02606.JPG

DSC07951_resize.JPG

DSC07953_resize.JPG

DSC02318_resize.JPG

Thanks for the replies, we are new to this business and your informed comments are much appreciated.

We are setting up leather manufacture in a part of our building, we are looking at automating as much of the manufacturing process as possible.

Our proposed ranges will encompass both better end and volume price point pieces. 

We are a laser marking company, so we will have a minimum standard in both materials and finish which we will not drop below.

On 6/28/2019 at 1:57 PM, RockyAussie said:

If you cant already see the need for one then you are probably not thinking of making the type off stuff that needs a splitter that much. I found that I needed one very early in my manufacturing and I would say that probably about 90% of the products I make have parts that need to be split. Best I can add to that is check out my web site and see the types of products there and perhaps my profile in the about me section as that will give you a broader view, here and there on the products not on my website. I now own 2 splitters, one a Comoga and the other an Albeko and aside from my own work I normally pick up a thousand or so a month splitting for other manufactures. My web site is https://wildharry.com.au if it is not showing below in a link already.imageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5

Most of the waste split is just that but I use a fair bit after I have split the belt backings for fillers in the dress belts as below. The last picture below shows a stack that I get to cut into strips and split every couple of months for some friendly belt making competitor. That is a lot of belt filler splits I am  left over to be used.:P

DSC02606.JPG

DSC07951_resize.JPG

DSC07953_resize.JPG

DSC02318_resize.JPG

awesome bunch of hides .

need a companion/partner in the workshop?

8 hours ago, nrk said:

need a companion/partner in the workshop?

That is my dog "Wild Harry" under the trolley doin his thing. Could sure use some more help here though:unsure:

On 6/22/2019 at 5:53 AM, JLSleather said:

Reduce inventory / save space >> no need to stock multiple thicknesses

Save time ordering >>>> same issue... call tannery, order one thickness, and you're done

Quality of goods >>>> Make ranger belts with billets lighter than main belt, or add straps to cases, etc.. by splitting the same leather for the main body, the color and texture of the entire project will match (nothing ruins a project quite like a billet that doesn't "quite" match)

What he said!  I want one in a bad way and what Jeff said is exactly why.  Having a perfect match on a belt or even the inside and outside of a wallet would be nice but using a 5 oz backer and 2 oz pockets would be a trick because they are likely from a different run, definitely a different animal etc.  

I am trying to to convince myself I don’t need one but it looks like I do.  Also you asked about what to do with the split.  It would make great insides for raised dog collars, watch straps, belts.  I asked for my splits to be sent to me.  They are yours after all. Just cost extra on shipping.  

Good luck! 

On 7/2/2019 at 4:13 AM, RockyAussie said:

That is my dog "Wild Harry" under the trolley doin his thing. Could sure use some more help here though:unsure:

love dogs :wub: