tallwelder

Mystery machine

I've been reading on here for sometime with plans to learn leatherwork done by hand, I planned to follow up some time in the future with a sewing machine capable of sewing leather. Things got twisted when I found a Consew 206RB (The ad's description) parts machine that had been dropped and the bed cracked. As a retired welder I thought I would  fix the damage and service said machine in an effort to make it usable again. I bought it and it arrived today but there are no mfg's tags, serial numbers, decals or anything. Through My inexperienced eyes and lots of looking at pics I think it may be a 206RB-5 but if one of You experienced leatherworkers said it was a Singer I would just have to go with that. Here are some pics which show potential identifying  features but also the cracked casting and missing parts. I need to not only identify this but am asking for help determining if this is worth the effort or if I need to turn around and sell parts from it and wait for a better machine?

If the decision is made to repair this one I will need to find a repair manual, I've been able to find parts list easily.

Thank You in advance,

Carl

64801103_899999523678481_4074375799992483840_n.jpg

64734602_387565178557745_9034978257102962688_n.jpg

64845859_2575701482441138_2117986744618975232_n.jpg

64979712_1135219319998504_256297960025882624_n.jpg

Looks like an easy fix,we have welded up a lot of cracked machines over the years.We pre-heated & used nickle rod.They can also be brazed if your better at that.It looks like not too many parts are missing so you should try to save it.

Thank You for Your expert advice, I will begin fixing it this week.

Will the shafts in the bed need marked so they can be timed correctly on re-assembly? I plan to remove the bed to allow for a top notch pre and post heat in the oven.

Thanks again!

Carl

It looks like a Consew - The first photo, of the back of the arm, shows a presser foot lift link that's definitely a Consew part - NOT Singer.

As far as welding it goes, since these castings were line bored for the shafts, my concern would be getting the shafts back in after the heat treatment, not just timing them - I guess if you're able to clamp the thing dead flat during the process, you might be OK.

Let us know how it turns out

Could be Pfaff

G'Day, I have to concur with' trash treasure' . Its a Consew. The second pic is an easy  give away. 

Here, have a look: 

http://www.consew.com/view/consew-model-206rb-5   

You may even find some ' Consew' names on parts  underneath . 

Parts are easy to get for Consew's , so I hope you're able to get it all up and running . 

Good luck  :):)

HS 

I have a 206 RB-5. I believe you probably have an RB-1. No reverse and no "knee lift" mechanism.

There is no doubt in my mind that it would be in my shop if I happened upon it. Looks fairly well taken care of.

This would be a winner for a first machine. Bob Kovar has many parts for this one.

Ferg

The RB-1s were made in Japan, and they had gun metal gray finish. Looks like a lot of levers, dials, and covers are missing from this casting. 

It DOES have a knee lifter.  It would not be a 206 as it has a top load bobbin in it.  All the Consew 206's I have seen have a side loaded bobbin.

It DOES have a knee lifter.  It would not be a 206 as it has a top load bobbin in it.  All the Consew 206's I have seen have a side loaded bobbin.

Ken..umm..

The machine in the OP is a side loader, you can see that clearly in the second and third pictures..especially the third image..the hook is at the left side of the picture, on the usual place for a side loader..on the end of the shaft that runs along the middle of the bed..

Edited by mikesc

Thank You everyone for the replies and sharing knowledge! 

When re-assembling the hookshaft and the lower shaft will the only thing to adjust timing on be the hook to needle? If there is more to it than that please let Me know.

Oh, yes I'm making a parts list that will be sent to Bob Kovar soon, it will include a servo motor and a variety of other must have parts.

Thank You,

Carl 

3 lower shafts - The hook, feed "stroke", and feed lift - All 3 need to be timed, IF they go them back in, with no binding.

Make match marks, take lots of photos and notes - You'll be more likely to get them close to start with, then - Good luck

Edited by trash treasure

5 hours ago, trash treasure said:

3 lower shafts - The hook, feed "stroke", and feed lift - All 3 need to be timed, IF they go them back in, with no binding.

Make match marks, take lots of photos and notes - You'll be more likely to get them close to start with, then - Good luck

Trash treasure,

Thank You for sharing Your knowledge, I did take several pics and scribed both the feed rock shaft and the feed lifting rock shaft before removal. I needed to hear the procedure for the hook shaft prior to removal. This helps improve My confidence to proceed.

Thanks again,

Carl