ABHandmade

Lily and hummingbird

I have not carving the birds yet. This is the first attempt. At the same time I decided to check whether the expression “Rules exist in order to violate them” is true. The rule is that the swivel knife should move perpendicular to the leather. It turned out that a conscious tilt in the necessary places can help to get an interesting volumetric effect (some petals and lily leaves, hummingbird feathers).

Lily&Colibri_2.JPGDSC_1205.JPGLily&Colibri.jpg

Edited by ABHandmade

Once again, you have surpassed excellence, and made an innovation whilst doing truly amazing work!

The lilly's look so real, even better than a photograph.

Really great work.

I suppose that careful use of the swivel knife can do much the same as petal lifters, just can't reach as far under the petal.

Tom

Superb ! :)

Thank you for the image of the "pre-coloured" version, it has a beauty all of it's own :)

6 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Once again, you have surpassed excellence, and made an innovation whilst doing truly amazing work!

The lilly's look so real, even better than a photograph.

Brian, thank you so much!

I, unfortunately, do not always have the patience to work out some details of the carving in a quality manner. And I notice it already when coloring. Something can be corrected by locally moistening the leather with a brush and applying a modeling spoon. And some embossing defects become visible after coloring. Unfortunately, my eyes is not what it used to be :)

5 hours ago, Northmount said:

Really great work.

I suppose that careful use of the swivel knife can do much the same as petal lifters, just can't reach as far under the petal.

Tom

Thank you, Tom!

I agree. I sometimes use a lifter to raise a local area of a petal. But I, like I did not try, cannot lift the long area evenly.

A slanting trimming with a swivel knife, followed by a beveling of what is under the clipped leather flap, turned out to give an acceptable result.

5 hours ago, mikesc said:

Superb ! :)

Thank you for the image of the "pre-coloured" version, it has a beauty all of it's own :)

Thank you, Mike!

I also thought about leaving my work uncolored. But still decided to color, because when tooling I did not use shaders to form a darker areas. Perhaps, somehow I will try to repeat this work, initially focusing on the fact that it will not be colored.

15 hours ago, ABHandmade said:

a conscious tilt in the necessary places can help

Agreed!  And, another great piece ;)

Love the textures, and your color is always fun to see!

6 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Agreed!  And, another great piece ;)

Love the textures, and your color is always fun to see!

Thank you so much, Jeff!

That looks fantastic!

4 hours ago, cmdavis said:

That is absolutely beautiful! 

Thank you for compliment!

1 hour ago, Bob Blea said:

That looks fantastic!

Thank you so much, Bob!