JSage

Sutton sewing machine

Hello All,

I recently acquired a Sutton free or cylinder arm heavy duty sewing machine, manufactured by Sutton Shoe Machine Co. of St Lewis Mo.

I am looking for any and all information I can get for this machine. So far internet search has given nothing except apparently Sutton used to be part of Landis. I have written Landis and am waiting their reply.

I also hope to find what current brands parts would fit, that I may use for replacement or accessory  (presser foot, bobbins, plates etc.). Oh and what needle system. This machine looks very similar to a Cowboy 4500, Techsew 5100 or Cobra class 4 with old singer body styling.

Thank you, any help is appreciated.

(Yup, second posting of same content, screwed up the first one)

@JSage  Please add a couple photos showing the front, rear, and presser foot area to help identify your machine.  Any model numbers off a plate mounted on the machine, if any, would help too.

Tom

Thank you Northmount. Yes, I'll put up some photos, ( soon as I figger out how).

Cant believe I forgot the model number. Its  "H-L", and the unique stand, also a Sutton  is model no PMS-MH.

JD

Here are photos of the Sutton.

If a different view is wanted let me know and  hopefully I'll remember how I did this.

Again, thanks for the help!!   And thanks to the "How to post pictures" topic!

JD

1678910593_Suttonfrontp-t.jpg.28b9e72ee0f80100e90d992b7a789a96.jpg407457876_Suttonback_25mp.jpg.3a0f8c3158d66345ff65e5130162420c.jpg1399799793_SuttonModNotag_25mp.jpg.8510fa5ee0c87ca2b86e364ac6f79499.jpg

Looks like an Adler 105 series, even the pot look like the Adler pot.

Bert.

It has a look of a 1950's Mercedes about it..so yes, probably Adler :)

Humm, always wanted a Mercedes, a Unamog. Thanks!

I'll look up the Adler. Thanks also.

JD

Needles are #328 or 214x1 for canvas and #328LR or 214x2 for leather.

Manual is available on Adler's site last time I looked.

Bert

Bert51, Mikesc,   I cant thank you enough. In doing some web research the past couple days I found you are absolutely correct,  this machine is indeed an Adler 105. I don't know the dash number but possibly 64. I have found a downloadable copy of the operators guide and parts diagram ( in German, oh well, nice assembly diagram ) from the Adler site. There is a photo of this machine as new with the Adler decal, and on a stand like I have. Its on Pintrest and the unit looks new. There is also a Youtube video of one for sale with both the Adler decal and the Sutton badge on it. Its also on the stand. Unfortunately he does a terrible job showing the back of the stand where the drive components are. This drive uses a standard electric motor with a  variable width v-belt pulley liken to a snow machine drive. This belt drives a two pulley speed reducer setup on a jack shaft that belt drives the machine head. The clutch is part of the large v-pulley of the speed reducer, you can adjust the speed of the motor somewhat by a knob on the front of the cabinet that rises and lowers the motor changing the diameter of its drive pulley. It sounds more complicated than it is. This machine was in daily use until about a month ago when the previous owner closed the doors of his saddle shop. I then got it at their sale. It has years of accumulated dust dirt and dried oil built up on the machine and in the stand and drive components. When I get it cleaned up and back in service, I'll post a couple photos.

Now to figure out what makers accessories like presser feet or drive plates and such will fit an Adler 105.

I'm going to have to find a Mercedes hood ornament and mount it on top. It'll be the closest thing to a Unamog I'll ever have.

Thanks again for all the help!

JD

The Adler manual I have is in German English and French, I think off hand, it is an operators manual.

An Adler mechanic here in Australia told me to use the Adler 205-370 manual as the mechanics of them is basically the same. Sadly I found neither of the easy to follow, may be it's just me.

Bert.

Yup, I agree. But, you can get some good information, you just have to pick through it,

Yep  That is an Adler 105-64.   It was the best cylinder arm that Adler had for some time.  Replaced by the 205-64.   The 205-64 is what Adler eventually built the 205-74off off which was later rebadged 205-374 and then 370.  It will sew leather up to 12mm.  Nice machine.

Thank you Shoepatcher. Would you happen to know, would 205-64 or 205-74, or even cowboy 205 feet or plates fit?

The 105-64 is a needle feed + drop feed only machine. Adler 205 triple feed / compound feed presser feet will most likely not work on this machine. You have to look for specific needle feed presser feet. But I yet haven´t seen any after market feet for the Adler 105 /205 needle feed machine. Most likely you have to buy Adler OEM feet. But you can install roller presser foot which slides onto the presser foot bar. The Singer 45K roller foot also works on Adler machines - in case you find one. Picture is an extract from a German Adler 5 Manual.

roller1.JPG

20 hours ago, JSage said:

Thank you Shoepatcher. Would you happen to know, would 205-64 or 205-74, or even cowboy 205 feet or plates fit?

The Cowboy line includes both Juki and Adler clones. The Juki clone feet will not fit an Adler. But, their Adler 205 clone feet may possibly fit your machine. It is worth your time to inquire at either Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines or Solar Leather Sewing Machines

Constabulary, Thank you! I understand what your saying, and am afraid you may be right. I have not yet actually checked on Adler prices, but have read they are very spendy compared to others. I will have to look into the roller foot a little more. You cant really see it in the photos I posted, but the machine currently has a left zipper type foot on it. I would like to have both a right zipper type and a center foot to use as when the situation allows. I would also like to acquire a holster plate, or another standard plate that I can the build into a holster type plate. Just a few things on my wish list. By the way, I think your profile picture is great, always have gotten a kick out of it.

Wiz, Great information, Thank you! I will get some measurements and contact them. Thank you for you writings on leather sewing machines. They are, honestly, a wealth of information!

JD