Sheilajeanne

Roman Shoes!!

Just found this picture of a woman's shoe from 2000 years ago, and it inspired me to dig deeper. Wow, I would SO love to visit the Saalburg, and see these shoes in person! The craftsmanship is exquisite! 

https://mymodernmet.com/womens-shoes-ancient-rome/?fbclid=IwAR3SO4duDxLTDw1n9dgTmPuCqF322fS-pGiYdPn7Nx2FtejMwNJJs4w4puo

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/08/18/2000-year-old-roman-shoe/

ancient-roman-shoe (1).jpg

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I have often wondered what I could do with the multitude of decorative leather punches I have.

If you decide to make a pair of these, let me know. Maybe I could loan the set of punches to you. There are 39 punches in the set.

Ferg

Thanks, Ferg. WOW, that's a LOT of punches!

Definitely beyond my skill level right now, but would love to see just how the shoe is put together!  It looks like the back of the display case has individual pieces of one of the shoes displayed at many times their actual size.

Got to be some books out there with more detail...screwed up my knee when gardening on the weekend, so I no longer have any excuse to not get back into my leatherwork, which I've been neglecting since I moved in December!

When I see something like this it just makes me drool...I'd so love to make one. Maybe I SHOULD buy that patcher Wiz is suggesting I buy! How heavy is a machine like that, and how hard would it be to get it down 13 stairs to the basement?

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/86163-singer-machine-with-table-and-motor/

Do you remember the three wheeled cart I have? Get one. They are a dream come true for moving these machines among other things.

Most of the old iron weighs about 75 to 90 pounds for just the head. You would enjoy a Patcher.

Hope your new basement is drier than the old one. Keep a De-Humidifier going and don't store your leather down there.

Ferg

[sigh!]  Was afraid you were going to say that!  ;)  Where can I get one?

Yes, new basement much, much drier than old, and mostly fully finished with a beautiful HUGE craft room. The house came with 2 dehumidifiers, so I have them both running. Unfortunately, there is nowhere else to store my leather, but I am keeping a close eye on it! So far so good...only moisture in the basement was when the water softener packed it in and started to leak! As it was the middle of spring thaw, and raining outside, I FREAKED!!

I was actually relieved when I discovered where the water was coming from, although the idjits who had installed the softener hadn't equipped it with a shutoff valve, so I had to shut the water down at the main. No longer have a softener...never wanted it in the first place!

Jane,

Walmart has them on their website.

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 6.10.24 PM.png

That is about $25 less than I paid.

Ferg

BTW: If possible store your leather away from an outside wall of the basement, away from a window, and it would be good if you can have air moving over/through it. Small fan would do wonders, IF YOU CAN HANG YOUR LEATHER FROM AN EDGE/END.

Edited by Ferg

Sheila..if you do get the patcher..the top ( machine head ) is attached to the treadle stand via 4 small screws that go upwards through the base table , one into each "leg" of the machine base ( the part with the big Singer Monogram ) right next to the slot that the belt comes up through..Undo these 4 screws..( put them somewhere safe, they are "unobtanium" ) ..then you can lift the top of it's base..The drawer also slides completely out.

Like wise these machines are threaded down through the barrel where the needle  and "jump foot" are..the thread is pushed down by using what looks like a long thing steel strip with a tiny notch in the end..this item is also made from "unobtanium"..although if it is missing you can make one with a very thin bicycle spoke.

If you are manoeuvring this thing down a flight of stairs ( with or without a three wheel trolley )..wrap the head in some blankets and pillows..that way if you do"knock" it..you are less likely to break anything off..

If you "test before you buy"..take a piece of 2oz leather..the machine should stitch between 4 and 5 stitches to the inch in 2oz..when they are worn, the stitches get shorter..it may only do 7 to 9..Still "buyable"..the worn parts can be replaced or repaired..The hooks f are frequently worn and may miss a stitch, the end of the hook gets "rounded" when they are worn, new hooks are not very expensive..about $40.00 from College sewing in UK..maybe parts available in the USA too..

Btw..As you are into shoes and sandals..these are not Roman, nor Italian, but French, St Tropez ( we had a shop at Port Grimaud , just across from St Tropez, and used to supply clothing to some shops there, had a stall on the market there too ) ..This company is probably the most famous  leather sandales* shop in France / St Tropez..Rondini..been making them since 1927

https://boutique.rondini.fr/en/women-sandals-7

Site is also in English, :) so I linked to that version..

Item about them in one of our national newspapers/ magazines..article is short ( "pay walled" after the initial paragraph ) in French..

https://www.lepoint.fr/villes/la-guerre-des-tropeziennes-28-07-2018-2239778_27.php

Edited by mikesc

Jane,

Well, with my research, they could be Roman anyway.

That said:

I have never made a shoe in my life. That is not to say I wouldn't like to. I hate the shoes you see from Colonial Times, they look so uncomfortable.

This shoe appears to be very comfortable. When I get time, (right) I am going to look into making at least one shoe.

Very intriguing, thank you for starting the thread.

Ferg

39 minutes ago, Ferg said:

Jane,

Well, with my research, they could be Roman anyway.

That said:

I have never made a shoe in my life. That is not to say I wouldn't like to. I hate the shoes you see from Colonial Times, they look so uncomfortable.

This shoe appears to be very comfortable. When I get time, (right) I am going to look into making at least one shoe.

Very intriguing, thank you for starting the thread.

Ferg

Interesting thing concerning the history of shoes.....

I believe I read twice in recent history (1500 years or so) the art of asymmetrical lasting was lost, and then rediscovered.

Many shoes were made at times with symmetrical lasts or a single last. This made the break-in period a real task.

On 6/24/2019 at 5:07 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

Maybe I SHOULD buy that patcher Wiz is suggesting I buy!

Hi There, Personally i would wait and get a Singer 29k71,72,73 or 29U series, there were some of the 50 series that had the same parts in the gearbox as the 70 series. These are also better to get, (the ones with 2 pinions and the small rack) I think the one you are looking at is the one that has 3 pinions (with very fine teeth) instead of 2 and they are not available, the only parts you will find nowadays are generally for the 70 series, pinions for the 51 zero. The 51 shares some parts with the 70 series but i would worry about the pinions. The shuttle carrier could also be a part that is not available, you would have to check the part numbers and then look for somewhere they sell them. Always check the part number before buying as some sellers state they are for the 29k series and it is not the case. Hope this helps.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:43 PM, bikermutt07 said:

Interesting thing concerning the history of shoes.....

I believe I read twice in recent history (1500 years or so) the art of asymmetrical lasting was lost, and then rediscovered.

Many shoes were made at times with symmetrical lasts or a single last. This made the break-in period a real task.

Soldiers were issued three shoes. The spare was to be used if a shoe wore out or became damaged. I guess if another shoe wore out you were out of luck till a comrade with the same approximate shoe size got whacked or lost a leg.

There were probably guys with one bare foot hanging out at the surgeons tent hoping to score.

IIRC symetrical shoes were commonplace up till the US Civil War.

PS

Gloves with separate fingers were also a surprisingly late development, as was the fork.

Edited by Professor

On 10/27/2019 at 6:19 PM, Professor said:

Soldiers were issued three shoes. The spare was to be used if a shoe wore out or became damaged. I guess if another shoe wore out you were out of luck till a comrade with the same approximate shoe size got whacked or lost a leg.

There were probably guys with one bare foot hanging out at the surgeons tent hoping to score.

IIRC symetrical shoes were commonplace up till the US Civil War.

PS

Gloves with separate fingers were also a surprisingly late development, as was the fork.

Nice factoids.

During this summer I visited Hadrian's Wall and saw a Roman re-enactment group, Legio VIII Augusta MGV, who had demonstrations of Roman life - cookery, clothing, weapons, etc

When we see pictures of Roman footwear they look, well, old & scruffy of course, but they had a cobbler making modern reproductions of Roman shoes, and some of them  looked quite attractive, you could almost get away with wearing them today. I was impressed with the amount of work and fine detail that went into them

There are several re-enactment groups in Britain and USA; just Search Google. And Search YouTube for 'roman footwear'.

Edited by zuludog