so i was wondering about dip dying leather instead of using a sponge... i heard that is it recommended to dilute the alcohol instead of using pure dye (pro dye from tandy)... what ration should i start with?

also.. i have isopropyl 91% (i think)   already at home... can i dilute with that instead of denatured ??

I normally mix pro dye 50/50 with denatured alcohol and it works well and dries fairly quickly.  I think isopropyl alcohol will dry much more slowly, but I have never used it, so maybe I will be pleasantly surprised by your results!

Gary

90% isopropyl works fine for me.  The amount to dilute depends on the end-color you are looking for, so kind of impossible to say just how much.  I'd start with 50/50 and go from there trying out on scraps of the same leather you will be dying.  

- Bill

On 6/25/2019 at 7:44 AM, billybopp said:

90% isopropyl works fine for me.  The amount to dilute depends on the end-color you are looking for, so kind of impossible to say just how much.  I'd start with 50/50 and go from there trying out on scraps of the same leather you will be dying.  

- Bill

thank you

On 6/24/2019 at 8:06 PM, garypl said:

I normally mix pro dye 50/50 with denatured alcohol and it works well and dries fairly quickly.  I think isopropyl alcohol will dry much more slowly, but I have never used it, so maybe I will be pleasantly surprised by your results!

Gary

i used it and it went okay, the big piece took a while to dry.. the color came out different than expected.. i did 50/50 mix  fielbing pro (i think) and 91 iso...   i would recommend it