Hello,

I'm just getting started in making minor saddle repairs and have an English Riding client who needs new stirrup leathers.  As with most things in the leather and especially tack making world, what initially may look simple generally is not!  

Im finding that stirrup leathers are made with a nylon liner and some with not.  My mentor / saddle maker has informed me that the straps are typically made from a single strap of Stirrup Butt...only available from Abbey England that I have found, but i have not pursued German suppliers.  And its expensive! 

What is the right solution?  Are matrix straps with nylon strapping sewn in also made using Stirrup Butt or a lesser cost leather?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated 

Silverd

Hi

I use stirrup butt that I get from Abbey Saddlery, expensive but in my opinion the best

Hi yes i use Abbey too for my stirrup butts they are nice but there are alternatives, although one maybe more expensive - had a price list for them from about a year ago not sure where it is or if it is up to date, email them for a quote,  never used leather from but never heard a bad word about them other than its not cheap J&JK Baker.

The other is Metropolitan leather, which i use a lot, near enough for me to drive and select the leather i want - they do two weights of bridle butt the heavy one is 5mm which possibly could be used for stirrup leathers, again email them and asked their opinion on this.  I do know on one old review on the 5mm,  the saddler had said it was ideal for stirrup leathers this maybe a cheaper option.  I have used both weights in various colours and have been happy with it makes lovely bridles.

As for laminated stirrup leathers,  yes have used them when working in horse racing,  the quality varies - some have been ok but they can become very scruffy if not maintained and looked after the stitching on the laminate can wear and look very unsightly,  not to mention safety - although the better quality ones do seem ok.

http://www.jfjbaker.co.uk/equestrian-leather/stirrup-butt/

https://www.metropolitanleather.com/Buy-Leather/Buy-Vegetable-Tanned-Leather/Coloured/Coloured-Old-English-Bridle-Butt

Hope this helps

JCUK

It does. 

Thank you.  I think I'm going to order the Stirrup Butt from Abbey.  It may cost me close to $500 after shipping but I should be able to make it back and generate some additional work in the process.  There is a significant Dressage community in this area (Santa Barbara, CA) who's members I think might be inclined to seek traditional made high quality tack.  I'm poised to begin using a Landis 16 to stitch them...would be a perfect first project for me on this machine.

I'll check out your recommendations too as you appear to have good experience with this.   I'll post a photo of my results.

thanks again,

Silverd

You can also buy leather for stirrup leathers as strips from Abbey which reduces the cost, no idea what shipping would be. 

I also only hand stitch stirrup leathers imo safer and stronger stitch.

Hope this helps

jack  

People have mentioned where to get the leather.  My only add to this is.   Stirrup leathers are a safety item. There for. I would only hand stitch them.  The thread I use is a size 8 polycotton core spun thread.  There are other threads. Just make sure it is thick and strong enough.    

The leather i use is 5mm thick.  Shame your so far away. I do a one day stirrup leather course for £75. And you get to keep your leathers 

On 6/26/2019 at 12:24 PM, gmace99 said:

People have mentioned where to get the leather.  My only add to this is.   Stirrup leathers are a safety item. There for. I would only hand stitch them.  The thread I use is a size 8 polycotton core spun thread.  There are other threads. Just make sure it is thick and strong enough.    

The leather i use is 5mm thick.  Shame your so far away. I do a one day stirrup leather course for £75. And you get to keep your leathers 

Would stitching the straps on a needle Awl machine be acceptable in your opinion?

Although I have no problem hand stitching them.  Great suggestion!

Silverd 

On 6/26/2019 at 8:35 AM, fivewayswelshcobs said:

You can also buy leather for stirrup leathers as strips from Abbey which reduces the cost, no idea what shipping would be. 

Great advice.  I placed an order today for 4 sets of 1" black straps.  And I bought rolls of #8 polyester cotton core thread in black and white,  this to go with a 1/2 hide of Australian oak stirrup butt I purchased earlier this week.   I'll hand stitch the buckles.  They will be epic!

Thanks for your help.

Silverd

On 6/26/2019 at 11:01 AM, jcuk said:

Hope this helps

jack  

Would you post a pic of the stitch pattern you use?  

Silverd

Hi i use 5/18 Linen thread for stirrup Leathers using Pricking Irons 6 stitches to the inch. From the images it may not be clear but, the stitch marking is done on the flesh side of the leather rather than the grain side.  

Hope this helps

JCUK

StirrupB.thumb.jpg.b7c135d8fae8a0b099adfa79b44b03b4.jpgStirrupA.thumb.jpg.43c44fb258ec055505e919e591829796.jpg

Edited by jcuk

Silverd, sent you a PM. 

On 7/1/2019 at 10:51 AM, jcuk said:

Hi i use 5/18 Linen thread for stirrup Leathers using Pricking Irons 6 stitches to the inch. From the images it may not be clear but, the stitch marking is done on the flesh side of the leather rather than the grain side.  

Hope this helps

JCUK

StirrupB.thumb.jpg.b7c135d8fae8a0b099adfa79b44b03b4.jpgStirrupA.thumb.jpg.43c44fb258ec055505e919e591829796.jpg

Flesh side out I knew about.  Nice pattern and interesting thread type.  It could wear less under strain because it doesn't stretch?

Silverd

On 6/26/2019 at 11:01 AM, jcuk said:

Hope this helps

jack  

On 7/1/2019 at 10:51 AM, jcuk said:

Hope this helps

JCUK

Using Linen Thread in English style tack production is the more traditional way of making English saddlery.

Both Leather and Linen Thread being natural products just seems right too.

Only time i use Tiger Thread is when i am replacing Girth straps to the webbing which i feel would be more abrasive on Linen Thread than the Tiger Thread.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Up-Date on this topic:

Received all the necessary supplies:

Stirrup Butt 1/2 hide

Stainless Steel Stirrup buckles

Polyester / Cotton Core Spun 18/5 thread

Many thanks to all who helped

Photos to follow.

Silverd