Hi, I am hoping to find some help.

I recently purchased a singer 111w155. It worked when I bought it, however, once I brought it home, I haven’t gotten it to function.

The top thread just breaks at the needle, last time it broke the tip of the needle at the eye as well. Thread  seems to get hung up in tensioner like in 1st photo

I have it set at “5” for stitch length. It is 135 thread.

I will attach another pic of resulting leather in next post.

Thank you so so much.

0F33D462-3C17-41CB-9321-E57EAE2660D2.jpeg

95632B5F-CE2B-49AE-8660-EDB13E04A9C6.jpeg

D023004F-415C-4599-B4E3-E4B9F345B72F.jpeg

Edited by LizO
Adding pictures that didn’t load 1st time

This is what the work looks like

Also, note how I have the spool set, it doesn’t seem right. In the manual, there is an attachment I may be missing. What is it called and where can I get something to replace it?

01942936-E31B-4744-866C-265BF37D5251.jpeg

3161AA82-1C95-4DA2-A3E8-7A00AC6449D7.jpeg

Yer thread path doesn't look right.  See can we find a pic...

111.jpgThe thread should come OVER the top set of discs (between them) and then go down the RIGHT SIDE of the lower disks.

Go all the way around the lower disks to like 12:00 position, and the spring will "snap in" on the thread, then up to the take-up lever and back down.

Edited by JLSleather
pic

I have only ever used a Janome machine for fabric, but here are a few comments

The thread on your machine doesn't seem to be properly routed and doesn't seem to go through the take up lever at all

I had a problem with needles snapping and found that the top thread had become wrapped or looped around one of the wire guiding loops, so it was jamming on them. This meant that the top thread was not moving at all, so as the work was fed through the machine the top thread was pulling on the needle, which quickly snapped

Get hold of a threading diagram for your machine and re - feed the thread carefully all the way to the needle, checking right from the reel of thread and at each stage and guiding hook that the thread runs freely

Check that the thread tensioner is not adjusted too tightly

Check that the upper thread runs freely when the foot is in both the upper and lower positions

Pull both upper & lower threads forward and clear of the foot and similar mechanism

Set up the machine for sewing with scrap leather but only turn it by hand. This will enable you to check if everything is working smoothly. If the upper thread becomes jammed the thread will not be able to run through the eye of the needle. Instead it will pull on the needle and bend the needle away from you slightly, and if you continue it will snap

Alternatively if the needle comes to a sudden stop on something hard & metallic that means the needle is not aligned properly. If that happens besides correcting the fault fit a new needle as even a needle that is blunted so slightly that you don't see it can give you problems

I've just noticed that in the third/bottom picture of your first post the thread is not coming off the reel, it seems as though it is wrapped round the support rod for the reel. Does the reel have a paper label on it, and resting on that? Push the reel all the way down the rod so the reel is resting flush on the top of the machine. Or is it just because it's white thread on a white reel and doesn't show clearly? Check anyway.

Thank you both for your replies. 

I actually hadn’t threaded the machine, I was just using the photo for reference.

I do believe I may have been doing something wrong— 

I was hooking the thread behind the pin on the top what I call the tensioner (the one without the wire lever). I didn’t do that and the thread worked better.

However, my problems aren’t completely gone.

please find attached how I threaded it and the resulting work,

If it is tension related- are those the two circular things that the thread runs about? Are they adjusted by turning the screw in the center? Are there any resources I can find so I quit bugging you? I did find some manuals online, but they didn’t really cover troubleshooting.

Again, I appreciate your help so so so so much.

Liz

5D79C316-7FA3-4818-8DF5-A48BF809289A.jpeg

94B3A017-FE53-41F9-9FB4-012A7591F7AB.jpeg

2EFE70DF-338F-441B-BB62-C04906670171.jpeg

B6BD0D0E-A570-4B0C-B535-EC1FDA9A40CE.jpeg

Edited by LizO

I've just Searched YouTube for "Singer 111w155"

There are loads of videos including several each on feeding the thread, adjusting tension. Just work your way through them and I'm sure you'll find an answer

I've just Searched Google for "Singer 111w155" manual - there are several websites to obtain the manual either as a pdf or a reprinted paper manual

Edited by zuludog

7 hours ago, LizO said:

Thank you both for your replies. 

I actually hadn’t threaded the machine, I was just using the photo for reference.

I do believe I may have been doing something wrong— 

I was hooking the thread behind the pin on the top what I call the tensioner (the one without the wire lever). I didn’t do that and the thread worked better.

However, my problems aren’t completely gone.

please find attached how I threaded it and the resulting work,

If it is tension related- are those the two circular things that the thread runs about? Are they adjusted by turning the screw in the center? Are there any resources I can find so I quit bugging you? I did find some manuals online, but they didn’t really cover troubleshooting.

Again, I appreciate your help so so so so much.

Liz

5D79C316-7FA3-4818-8DF5-A48BF809289A.jpeg

94B3A017-FE53-41F9-9FB4-012A7591F7AB.jpeg

2EFE70DF-338F-441B-BB62-C04906670171.jpeg

B6BD0D0E-A570-4B0C-B535-EC1FDA9A40CE.jpeg

You are getting closer ...The thread is around the tension discs but not pulled down into them properly. The round nut thing in front of them is what you adjust the top tension with. Turn it clockwise and it will tighten down on the thread and anticlockwise and it will get looser. First get the thread to pull down in between them discs and think of them like they are your thumb and finger gripping the thread....the more you squeeze the harder it is to pull the thread. Squeeze to hard and the thread comes to the top and squeeze to soft and the thread goes to the bottom. Hope that helps you some .

Brian

Always thread machine with presser foot in raised position to release tension and allow the thread to drop properly into tension disks

Also remember to hold both top and bottom tread securely in your hand when starting the first couple stitches to prevent it from getting tangled and making a mess 

My 2 cents 

I usually start a sewing machine by hand for the first 2 or 3 stitches to make sure that everything is running OK

That "pin" in the top disks is to keep the disks from spinning around... the thread doesn't go on that.

Looks like you have the thread direction right.  Be sure it snaps down in to the disks (there should be tension on the thread if it's in there).

And then, as rburson states, hold on to the ends of the thread when you start... keep some tension on the ends ... until you have a few stitches in the work

LizO,

Singer 111W service manual (including threading)      http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERSERVICE2/111W152,153,154,155-inst.pdf

Singer 111W155  parts manual      http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERPARTS6/111W155.pdf

Singer 111W155 parts manual (better copy)     http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERPARTS6/111W155!.pdf

Edited by Evo160K

Are you sure you have the needle in correctly?

Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like it might be turned the wrong way - The thread groove should be to the left, and the "scarf" (the shallow notch above the eye) should face right, facing the hook - If it's in wrong, I'm impressed that it sews at all :~)

I just realized something while reading this. 

Sewing machines are one of the few mechanical thingamajigs where women (especially OLDER women) have an advantage over men, because we were expected to take Home Ec. in school, while the guys took Shop. Many of us also had a sewing machine at home that we were allowed to use. And that means, of course, that we LEARNED how to use sewing machines. And a leather sewing machine, in most ways, still works pretty much like a domestic one...meaning I knew immediately what was wrong with the way the machine was being threaded!

Sorry, guys, you will have to forgive me...having a moment here!   :thumbsup:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Hi,

i think there is a mistake in 1 , thread must be in the steel ring and pass behind a hook in 2

Capture-d’écran-2019-06-30-à-15.16.55.jpg

Edited by paloma

like this if it's the same device

hook.jpg

What either sex learned to use , depends where you grew up Sheilajeanne :)..I learned* to knit and sew ( by hand at age 6 ) at a school in the UK 5 Yorkshire ) ..IME it was ( and still is in very many systems and countries ) harder for girls to be offered , classes / teaching in mechanics, welding, woodwork etc at school than for boys to be given the chance to learn to sew, ( machine or hand ) knit etc ..

*actually I knew already, but it was taught to all, boys and girls alike..My mother had a sewing machine, so did grandmothers and aunts..any boy who wanted to learn did, with supervision ( in case we broke what was used to make the family's clothes )..Art schools in the UK used to teach how to go from designing /drawing and item ( clothing, luggage, masks, whatever ), to making the patterns, sewing, them ( ( on industrial clutch driven machines ) , plus all the tricky stuff like designing pleating systems etc..They also taught cabinet making, sculpture ( plaster molding , concrete, wood working, welding , plastics, resins ) ..life drawing, painting, photography, printmaking ( silkscreen, lithography on stones and metal plate machines, letterpress, etching, engraving ) sketching, watercolour and oils, acrylics..everything..I do know from talking to friends in France that here one does not learn all the aspects of the fashion business..many designers don't actually know how to work the machines..and many machinists do not know how to repair or set up their machines..The couturiers that I know , call in a repair guy* / machine mechanic  ( nearest one to here is 250kms away ) for anything more than changing the bobbin or needle..They were never taught how, many were not inclined to learn..

*Always is a guy..never a girl..unfortunately..France has along way to go one certain things..

Paloma..the second photo that you show ( the one on the pale coloured machine ) is threaded incorrectly..the thread must go behind the small "hook", but..it must pass through the take up tension spring..

If we refer to your 1st image ( the darker machine ) the thread must pass under the spring you have marked #1..then you pull the thread ( holding it taut above the spring, so that it "clicks" in behind the little hook that you have marked with #2 ..this sets it behind the take up spring.. then continue threading up through the thread guide nearest to ( and slightly to the left of ) the take up spring , to the eye hole in the take up arm..and down again to the thread guide, onwards to the needle thread guide and down to the needle eye..

Edited by mikesc
Corrected explanation

In your second image ( the one that shows the take up spring control on the pale machine ) the take up spring is doing nothing and the stitches will not form correctly, because the thread path is incorrect..

I had to split this into 2 comments as the system is freezing ( click "save" nothing happens ) on me if I make more than one edit per post.. :((

thanks Mike but i have some problem/difyculty to understand well.

I have UNDERSTAND! you are thruth!!!

the good way is this!:rolleyes: i am a newbie too!

kook2.jpg

Edited by paloma

Ok :) see attached close up..machine is Singer 211, thread is black ( sorry about that but it is loaded with Black 69 )..image is of the thread correctly positioned  as it exits the Take Up Spring assembly..You'll need to "zoom" the photo to see my notes written on it..Sorry about the writing, "trying out a different graphics tablet" on this machine, getting used to it..I normally use them for drawing , not for writing..to "zoom" right click on the photo, choose open in new tab..when it opens in new tab, you can zoom..or you can click on the little magnifying glass ( loupe) if it shows one..HTH :)

Close up - Correct Thread Path at Take Up Spring.jpg

Edited by mikesc

Seems like you have gotten a lot of good advice here. But I would like to add: 

The spindle you have your spool of thread sitting on should actually be part of the threading path. The thread should feed through the holes in that spindle. Hope that makes sense.

Something like this should give you a place for the spool.

https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/cone-thread-guide.php?gdffi=6c639eba24d54bdaa80af635d0953925&gdfms=E1AF7B09E0074D9B87539AC2F2D1622C&msclkid=5fce6cd66d4d1239cdec31ceb898c22e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=@Shopping@&utm_term=4582901904303942&utm_content=All Products

Edited by blue duck

7 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Ok :) see attached close up..machine is Singer 211, thread is black ( sorry about that but it is loaded with Black 69 )..image is of the thread correctly positioned  as it exits the Take Up Spring assembly..You'll need to "zoom" the photo to see my notes written on it..Sorry about the writing, "trying out a different graphics tablet" on this machine, getting used to it..I normally use them for drawing , not for writing..to "zoom" right click on the photo, choose open in new tab..when it opens in new tab, you can zoom..or you can click on the little magnifying glass ( loupe) if it shows one..HTH :)

Close up - Correct Thread Path at Take Up Spring.jpg

I think that's exactly what I just did.

Edited by paloma

I think it's exactly what I am just know doing....

in the pale machine photo, ( which you posted a further up ) the thread did not pass under the spring, it went straight up to the thread guide after if passed behind the little hook..: ) Edit... Ooops !!..Mes excuses Paloma ..I didn't see the photo that you posted later..yes the way that you are now threading is correct :)

Edited by mikesc

exact! but it was before....once uppon a time.:)

Paloma..what is the pale machine in your photos ? ..it has a take up spring mechanism that has no adjusting screw..I have not seen one without before.. ?