Durkopp Adler 69...

Edited by paloma

Ah yes..I notice that on the photo in the other thread, your machine is correctly threaded..Best when a machine is correctly threaded , to leave some thread in the thread path, we all forget sometimes.. :)

that's what I always say!

On 6/25/2019 at 5:44 PM, LizO said:

Hi, I am hoping to find some help.

I recently purchased a singer 111w155. It worked when I bought it, however, once I brought it home, I haven’t gotten it to function.

The top thread just breaks at the needle, last time it broke the tip of the needle at the eye as well. Thread  seems to get hung up in tensioner like in 1st photo

I have it set at “5” for stitch length. It is 135 thread.

I will attach another pic of resulting leather in next post.

Thank you so so much.

0F33D462-3C17-41CB-9321-E57EAE2660D2.jpeg

95632B5F-CE2B-49AE-8660-EDB13E04A9C6.jpeg

D023004F-415C-4599-B4E3-E4B9F345B72F.jpeg

Hi Liz.

Your machine is very similar to my Durkopp 239. I'm very much a newbie also and I've been where you are now. At least you have the benefit of seeing it working so if you're using the same thread/needle etc you should be up and running in no time. The rod that eases the top tension disc on mine doesn't work (it opens up the two plates on the top disc so the thread goes where it should) so I have to make sure I snag it in close to the spindle manually. What was said earlier about where you have your bobbin is right. That upright with the holes in is part of the thread path. Go in out and  around those holes to regulate the thread before it gets to the top tension disc. Fashion a bent wire coat hanger to hold the thread spool for the time being. As far as tension goes, I think a rule of thumb to start with is the top thread and the bottom thread should feel roughly the same. I still haven't got mine working right yet but I'm getting plenty of trying practice. :) I have a new tension unit coming tomorrow and while ordering it I had a moment and ordered a servo motor as well. :o

11 hours ago, trash treasure said:

Are you sure you have the needle in correctly?

Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like it might be turned the wrong way - The thread groove should be to the left, and the "scarf" (the shallow notch above the eye) should face right, facing the hook - If it's in wrong, I'm impressed that it sews at all :~)

-

What ( trash treasure ) says .. with the machine strung-up so wrong, wakes one wonder if you have needle correct to the Bobbin assembly.
Obvious you have tension problems from Pic's . Along with, You using a upper-end Thread size that this machine can handle . it will do #135 nicely, but it needs to be set-up right and proper to run it . but It obvious you not strung-up appropriately from your spool of thread, tension assembly and down to the needle itself .

You stated in your 1st Post that ..." it was working when bought it ". . but not now, when you started sewing at home .
' But' , Was this machine actually already strung-up and sewing #135 when you bought it ? . before bringing home ?

What Needle ? are you using . Are you using a 22 size/hole ? .  is it a 135x5 ? .  or 'even better' been change up to a 135x17 needle ?
Do the throat plate and the feed dogs have a nice clean and large enough hole to accommodate your #135 thread with 22 needle ?
Also is your 'Bobbin tension' with the larger 135 thread needs to be set-up proper .
There is so much wrong with the pic's and your descriptions along with you not knowing what to do, you should probably use a person to actually use hands-on and set of eye's to string-up and setup to run larger Thread on the 111 .

11 hours ago, trash treasure said:

Are you sure you have the needle in correctly?

Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like it might be turned the wrong way - The thread groove should be to the left, and the "scarf" (the shallow notch above the eye) should face right, facing the hook - If it's in wrong, I'm impressed that it sews at all :~)

The needle may be angled a bit far to the front but the direction in the pictures is orientated in the direction you describe as far as I can make out. Needle scarf to the right facing the hook which is to the right. :dunno: