JeannieH

Sewing round hidden magnetic snaps

Hello everyone. Is there a tip or trick for sewing the sew in hidden magnetic snap closures? I’m having trouble getting my stitching perfect. I will attach a picture of what I am trying to do. Thanks ahead!

im putting them inside a leather bag. So I will have the lining and at the top chrome leather sewn at the top of the lining. This is where I want to put the sew in magnetic closure.

91E1C8A7-C40A-4847-9B9A-3FB5B68DD1ED.jpeg

Looks perfect..the problem is ?

I think that picture is what OP wants to achieve, but OP did not include a photo of the results she is getting thus far.  It's difficult to say how to get from here to there without it.

Though I've never used a sew in magnetic closure, my first instinct would be to mark a circle around the closure where it is to be placed on the leather and then use a two prong pricking iron to mark the stitches around the circle, then hand sew the closure in place.  Perhaps others will be along with more experience with this type of closure.

Well, I did do what is in the picture lol. But, I was with a saddlemaker/bag maker at the time and on his machine. Now that I’m alone I can’t get it like that anymore for some reason lol. I used a machine. I mostly use the sewing machine but I can hand sew a bit. I just thought maybe someone has a tip as to getting it consistent all the time. Like is there a certain foot that works best or should I place clockwise or counterclockwise...I have a silver pen but it doesn’t always come off so what’s a good marking utensil that I could use? 

Also, should I slice the area where the magnet will be a little so the strength isn’t too depleted from the leather thickness? 

I wouldn't slice the area..the magnets are strong enough to work through that thickness of leather with no problem..

re sewing accuracy ? ..If you don't feel confident about "free-handing it",-maybe try a-foot with a built in spring guide for edges..a 1/8 th spring edge guide foot would work if you were consistent..after that depends on if you want left or right handed..

Edited by mikesc

I don't have a sewing tip but for marking leather I like the Stabilo All white pencil. It is made for marking glass and other surfaces but wipes off with a damp cloth better than most marking pencils I've found.

Thanks guys! I will give those things a try.! 

You could also try sewing around it using a "zipper" foot, ( put the leather with the  magnet under it where the zipper would be, up against the foot that the needle passes through ) that would let you get in closest.

When using magnets for closures, I place the magnets in holes punched in a piece of leather the same thickness as the magnets.  Then glue that between the exterior and the lining leathers.  (You can skive the outer edges to reduce the thickness if the transition is getting too bulky.)  Then I don't need to sew around the magnets themselves.  They will stay in place due to the three layers of construction.  Only reason I can see for sewing a circle around magnets is for decoration, which I don't do.

Tom

If using a walking foot machine it's done with an open sided zipper foot. The distance between the needle and edge of the center foot determines the minimum distance between the edge of the magnet and stitch line. If you're using a foot that's open on the right side, you'd rotate your work clockwise. Left side counter clockwise. You can use double sided leather bonding tape on the interior to secure your magnet and a little pocket around it but be aware that very tacky glue or adhesive can affect the quality of your stitch.

On 6/26/2019 at 4:38 PM, Northmount said:

I place the magnets in holes punched in a piece of leather the same thickness as the magnets

What a brilliant idea. Another one of those ideas that makes me smack my head and say duh.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m sure I will try all of them to see which works best. I have one more problem.

i have a consew skiving machine. For some reason when I skive, the cut parts come back up and under the foot! I cannot figure out why. Any ideas? It’s really causing me problems because it’s jamming up and pushing my roller down sometimes. I tried pulling the leather out each time I skive a piece...not sure what changed for it to be doing this.