Stu10

Help choosing a new Consew or Juki

I missed a like new 85 Consew 206RB at auction that went for about $2400. I would like a quality machine. I buy and sell machine shop equipment for a living and have a love for quality machines and know a good one when I see it. I like machines made in Germany or Japan. 

I really not into saving money when it come to quality by buying a China machine, which is the kiss of death for me when it comes to machines I sell. I plan on having some fun with auto and boat projects and light leather. Any help or advice??

Thanks Dan

I got my Japanese 206rb-1 for $400. That included a new servo and table. Deals a re email definitely out there. I'm sure you know you just have to keep an eye out and sooner or later one will show up.

It was a 1984 but looked like it had only been used a few times. I put a bid in up to $1500 but it went much higher.  I only like to buy once and feel good about.

Your profile says you are in Camas. Is that Camas, Washington? If so, here is a very nice German made, Pfaff 545 H4 for $1050.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/art/d/camas-pfaff-545-h4-high-lift-walking/6920372171.html

pfaff-545h4.jpg

I did see that one. Just wondering on a used machine like this, being German vintage, how would it compare to the new Consew or Juki models.  

How’s it going , I have a consew 206RB-1 for sale ! Check out my video on it . Thank you . Look forward 2 speaking 2 you . 

Jacob Romero

626-827-4503

If you want a NEW Consew 206-rb check out Toledo sewing machines. They list the price at $1395. I bet you are glad now that you didn't get the one at auction. For $1800 you could get a new Juki 1541S.

The link:

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/consew-206rb.html

kgg

Agree with kgg ..you also get "back up" from someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to sewing machines..

I realize that $1500 was a lot for that Consew, but I deal everyday with precision high quality machine tools and there is a bit of pride owning a machine that was made by hand and a lot of parts made on manual machine instead of all CNC machined!  After researching these machine and seeing what is inside them and the components that they are made of, I real shocked at how cheap they are. I would guess there is more machining pieces in a sewing machining then most metal lathes I see!

Hey Dan,

That's my Pfaff 545 in the picture above.  You're welcome to come try it out if you like.  I also have a Juki 563 that's not for sale, but you could compare the two to see what you prefer.  The main difference between these type of machines and the Consew 206rb is the way the bobbin is loaded.  206 is a side-loading bobbin, while the 563 and 545 are top loading (drop-in bobbin).  I prefer the top loaders, but some people don't care either way.  

Cheers,

Willie

1 hour ago, Stu10 said:

After researching these machine and seeing what is inside them and the components that they are made of, I real shocked at how cheap they are.

It is sad that a lot companies have moved their production to China. Quality or the lack of will follow and good enough or almost good enough will be the norm. To the best of my knowledge the Juki 1541S still remains as being built in Japan. I would purchase a used brand name like Singer, Adler, PFAFF, Juki that have been reconditioned any day over a new Chinese clone. Since this is a nice layout of cash do a visit to a brick/mortar shop and do a comparison of a brand name (Singer, Adler, PFAFF, Juki) new and used then compare them to the Chinese clones. I bet dollars to donuts that you will you will easily see the difference.

kgg

The Chinese clones coming from dealerships like Cobra and Cowboy are built to their specs (pretty sure they even have control over metals used). Then they are gone through, inspected, and adjusted before you receive them. They are a far cry from cheap Chinese junk. 

Yes, China has built quite a reputation for themselves the last 70 years.

But look at the market they had....

They were instructed by large wholesalers to build to a price point. They had no access to smaller companies or end users. They were just building to a price point set out for them, with probably no feedback from end users.

Fast forward to today and you have some quality stuff coming out of China. Being built to higher tolerances and standards.

I have several quality made tools from Wuta and Kevin Lee, as well as quality pocket knives from Kizer. 

China is moving forward on quality. They have a long way to go to fix that reputation, but they are trying.

Dan, my first machine, which is still my favorite 'go to' machine is a Juki DNU-1541S that I bought new from Keystone Sewing. Greg is a member here at LW and very helpful. The price is still the same on his website as it was when I bought mine, $1649 including free shipping. It is a beautiful machine that is made in Japan and is working perfectly.

Yes I do admit there are some very good clones as other equipment out of China and excellent dealers that take pride in what they offer. Finding a good sewing machine clone can be difficult with so many available from so many labels from different dealers. In a lot of cases it can be hard to tell one from another. Some I tried were OK while others sounded like a bucket of bolts banging around.

kgg