JayEhl

Which side of the line to bevel on?

Hi  there

Total new guy here.  I've bought some tools and have beveled a few projects after tracing a pattern, etc. but I get confused sometimes on deciding which side of a design pattern I should bevel.  I've been practicing mostly on Al Strolman type patterns and several things I found off the internet.  I would like to think my work is getting incrementally better each time I practice but looking back and comparing to the pictures, I found I beveled on the wrong side of the line.  I could certainly have the picture in front of me the whole time as a reference but I often time get 'in the zone' and get really into working and I zone out.    Is there any sort of steadfast rule I should follow?  

Thanks for all your great and advice on this board.  I really learned quite a bit, so far! 

JL

You should always have the flat side of the beveler against the outside of the part being beveled. That way, the bevel goes away from the part (flower, leaf, stem, etc.). There are some exceptions, but this is a good general rule.

You should be pushing down the items that are behind the items in front.  So if a leaf comes out from under a flower, push the leaf down.  (Bevel the items that are behind.)  You are trying to do a 3D scene, so need to bring the foreground forward by bevelling (pushing) the background items down to do that.

Tom

On 6/26/2019 at 2:10 PM, TSes said:

You should always have the flat side of the beveler against the outside of the part being beveled. That way, the bevel goes away from the part (flower, leaf, stem, etc.). There are some exceptions, but this is a good general rule.

Hi there.  I'm so sorry. I should've made myself more clear.  I was referring to how I should go about making sure I'm beveling on the correct side of the line.   But thank you, though!  :)

JL

On 6/26/2019 at 5:29 PM, Northmount said:

You should be pushing down the items that are behind the items in front.  So if a leaf comes out from under a flower, push the leaf down.  (Bevel the items that are behind.)  You are trying to do a 3D scene, so need to bring the foreground forward by bevelling (pushing) the background items down to do that.

Tom

Hi there,

I read your post and had to think about it some and then realized I wasn't looking at my carvings in a more abstract manner.  It took some thinking through, AND most importantly, taking my time so I don't rush it through.  I do have an Al Stohlman book that I used for pattern tracing and need to take a closer look at his finished products. 

Working myself through all this great knowledge base has been an eye-opener, I can tell you.  And here I thought leather work was easy!  :blink:    

1 hour ago, JayEhl said:

I read your post and had to think about it some and then realized I wasn't looking at my carvings in a more abstract manner. 

Which side of the line to bevel is more rule based, even mathematical or mechanical, than abstract.  To me, abstract is sort of random, throwing paint at a canvas until it looks good to the artist's mind.

And as you mentioned, take your time, sometimes sit back and look at your pattern for a few moments to see what you need to do.  Rushing through something, or not paying attention to what I am doing has lead to some stupid errors!

Tom

Yup. And now I'm going through this tutorial I found on the forum about Floral and Sheridan Carving by ClayB and several others there on my list.  I'm kind of excited and can't wait to get home to try some of it out. 

By the way, I've received a video tutorial link to purchase of Beyond the Basics - Learning the Tricks of the Professionals with Jim Linnell and Elktracks Studios.  Are you familiar with this and if so, is it more than just one video? As in, are there several videos going through each step or is it one big long tutorial.  Just wondering and also curious if it's as good as i would get from some of the ones I've seen on YouTube (Dan Gonzalez, etc)  

Thank you in advance for all this great advice!

~JL

39 minutes ago, JayEhl said:

Jim Linnell and Elktracks Studios

His videos that he sells are about an hour long, some longer.  They all contain very good information.  I haven't looked at the one you listed so can't tell you about it.  On YouTube, Jim has a series of videos making a wallet done while he was working for Tandy.  Each video is short and covers a specific topic.  You will be able to find the next ones in the series when you look at this one.

Tom