Sign in to follow this  
77GearCo

Nakajima 280L vs. PFAFF 545

Long time reader, first time poster. Thanks for the great advice as I have grown into the addict that I now am. I currently have 3 industrial machines to complement my 4 home sewing machines, but have a conundrum. I pride myself on having a sewing machine for every possible situation. The Nakajima for the big stuff, the PFAFF 138 for the...well...everyone needs a 138, the Singer 31-15 (can't really justify this one with having the 138), the Adler 87 for smaller stuff (probably the best home machine ever), the 60's Japanese ZZ with a new 1.5amp motor for playing around, the Domestic 153MG at 20lbs. for traveling, and the youngest machine I have ever owned; the Bernina 1260. It has letters so my daughter can make bracelets :). I have found a really good deal on a PFAFF 545, but I just purchased the machine that I have wanted for quite some time; the Nakajima 280L. Its a great machine. I put a new servo on it and it will sew through more than I will ever need. Problem is, I think the wife will leave me at a 4th industrial machine. I can't even park in the garage right now. Is it worth picking up a fully functional 545 for $200 with a new table? Should I buy it and unload the Nakajima or just let someone else get the great deal?

Pfaff 545 for $200 is a steal. I personally like the top loading bobbin on the 545 and it has a larger hook / bobbin. Personally I would keep the Pfaff because it will hold or even increase its value (you barely find them for less than $600--800 used). However - both are walking foot machines. If the 280 suits your needs and you do not need the larger bobbin keep the 280L. Only advantage on the 280 I see is that it takes Singer 111 type presser feet which are available very cheap - even dirt cheap some times. whereas Pfaff accessories are a lot more expensive. I would test / compare them for a while and then decide. You for sure can make some good bucks when you sell the 545 if the 280 is sufficient for what you are doing.

Also do away with the Singer 31 if you don´t need it. ;)

Edited by Constabulary