I have a few large, thick knives I'm working on and I want to taper the welt to make the sheaths less thick.
The spine on them is 3/8" tapering to 1/8" at the tip. I plan on using a thinner welt at the edge. This is one of the projects off the grinder.
And suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

bowie5.jpg

Contact cement the welt to one side of the sheath, . . . take it to a belt sander, . . . 

Least that is what I would do.  Wish I had $5 for every one I've done for my holsters.

AND, . . . that is one GOOD LOOKING knife there.  Gonna build me one of those some day IF . . . IF I live long enough (lol), . . . I want a Jim Bowie that altogether will top out somewhere between 18 and 24 inches.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

I think it can be done even easier than that. Use thin leather for the sharp side of the welt. Use thick leather for the spine side of the welt. Where the two welt halves meet near the tip you could leave a small space which could be a drainage hole (in case the sheath gets water in it during use). That way you don't have to worry about the transition from the thick to the thin. I wouldn't even bother to taper the spine half of the welt at the tip. Beautiful blade btw!

I use a head knife. Cut your welt out of 12/14 oz heavy skirting (or multiple layers of lighter leather), dunk it under water for 10 to 20 seconds, let it sit or "case" for a little while, 10 minutes or so, lay it flat on a glass cutting board and make 1 long sloping cut from full thickness down to a feathered edge. It takes a little practice, but if you have a head knife I think it's the easiest way to skive anything. 

I don't have a lot of good pictures, but this one shows a holster with a full welt plus a skived 2nd welt at the top. You can see that 2nd layer of the welt runs from full thickness down to nothing. 

Anyway, that's how I'd do it. The tools you have on hand and your work space dictate what works best. Dwight's method with a belt sander is probably great as well. I have a head knife and don't have a belt sander. I also work in the loft in my house and any power tool sanding sends leather dust down to the living room, which according to my wife is NOT desirable. :) 

Good luck with your sheath! As others have said, your blade looks great! 

All the best, Josh

016.thumb.jpg.8980a3045b28db301062aef138cbdee7.jpg

On 6/28/2019 at 10:40 PM, Dwight said:

Contact cement the welt to one side of the sheath, . . . take it to a belt sander, . . . 

Least that is what I would do.  Wish I had $5 for every one I've done for my holsters.

AND, . . . that is one GOOD LOOKING knife there.  Gonna build me one of those some day IF . . . IF I live long enough (lol), . . . I want a Jim Bowie that altogether will top out somewhere between 18 and 24 inches.

May God bless,

Dwight

I took it to the grinder with an 80grit ceramic belt, it worked like a charm 

2 hours ago, SShepherd said:

I took it to the grinder with an 80grit ceramic belt, it worked like a charm 

Success is always good, . . . no matter how you get there.

Make sure we see the final piece.  Pictures are great things you know..............

May God bless,

Dwight

I think I'm going to add a small tapered wedge at the kick of the blade because if the thickness. I need to run to tandy tomorrow.

WELT.jpg

Looking good their with that shaved down welt.A really nice blade too.

What type of handle are you going to use on it??

Edited by noobleather

On 7/5/2019 at 1:19 AM, SShepherd said:

I think I'm going to add a small tapered wedge at the kick of the blade because if the thickness

Sounds right and looking pretty good so far.:thumbsup:

Looking good! +1 to Dwight's comment, "Success is always good, . . . no matter how you get there." Looking forward to seeing the finished knife and sheath!  

All the best, Josh

Looks pretty good. How did the edges turn out. Are they tapered or flat? You are still adding a hold in strap yet? Just thinking that I would blunt the tip a little more to avoid in curling from getting knocked about.;)

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

Looks pretty good. How did the edges turn out. Are they tapered or flat? You are still adding a hold in strap yet? Just thinking that I would blunt the tip a little more to avoid in curling from getting knocked about.;)

the edges are rounded, adding a strap and thanks for reminding me about the tip :)