Tinkerton

how do you hold your mallet?

Random question I was pondering over while practicing beveling; Which had does everyone hold their mallet/maul in: your dominant or weaker hand?

I’ve never even considered holding it in my weak hand.  Now I want to try it 

9 minutes ago, Tinkerton said:

dominant or weaker hand?

Always my dominant hand. I get more control that way, and I need all the control (or assistance) I can get. :whistle:

I am right handed, so naturally I use my mallet in my right hand with any tools in my left. I also hold my mallet handle   close to the mallet hitty  bit, not at the other end. My mallet is a small  rubber mallet, with a few bits of  round leather glued to the round  ' hitty bit' .It   came from a kids tool kit from a discount shop so its just the right  size & weight. I have another rubber mallet thats bigger & heavier for bigger tools ,  stamps, like 3D etc.  

I reject normality  and make up my own  :rofl: 

HS

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

the mallet hitty  bit,

I understand this is known as the "Hitty Lumpy Bit" as opposed to the "Holdy Stick Bit" to avoid confusion :crazy:

:yeah:

Years back my Father-In-Law gifted me for Christmas a 13 lb Lump Hammer, to make it easier to punch holes in leather. Needless to say he was not a leatherworker, and it came it real handy with a cold chisel for masonry work.

Edited by hwinbermuda

Here's a chance to learn some British slang

Birmingham is one of the main engineering centres of Britain. In the local dialect it is distorted and pronounced 'Brummajem'

Thus a hammer, especially an engineer's ball pein hammer, is known as a Brummajem Screwdriver

I don't do any tooling or stamping, I only use my mallet for stitching chisels, flattening finished stitches and occasionally a hole punch. Almost always in my right, dominant, hand

It's a hide mallet I got from a craft shop; just weighed it on my kitchen scales = 538g. I usually hold it somewhere between the middle & end of the Holdy Sticky Bit

I'm thinking of fixing a disc of hardwood on the ends of the Hitty Bit to prevent too much wear on the hide

Edited by zuludog

A. mostly in my almost dominant right hand

B, we used to call a hammer a Manchester screwdriver and a sledge hammer a London screwdriver

Slight muckiness warning...

My brother the Diesel Mechanic never called a ball pein hammer anything that was not a dire threat...

BALL PAIN hammer.

And if helping him he'd always answer the question "would you like a screw driver?" with "No thanks I'm ten minutes late already"

I come from Manchester, and I haven't heard of a hammer being called a Manchester Screwdriver, but it's possible of course. No doubt these names date from the time when British Engineering ruled the world

I've heard of a sledge hammer being called a 'Persuader'

36 minutes ago, zuludog said:

I come from Manchester, and I haven't heard of a hammer being called a Manchester Screwdriver,. . .

yeah but . . . . yeah but . . . .  yeah but  . . . . . as a Manchesterite you'd not, but in Ulster ~~

I can’t help but feel a more important question would be “have you named your hammer?”

yes I have, it’s called Henry the hitty stick ;)

I seemed to have started a discussion about different names for tools...oops! 

I call an  adjustable spanner an '   AFS '  , " any f****g size" , waaaaaay off topic. 

16 hours ago, HaloJones said:

I can’t help but feel a more important question would be “have you named your hammer?”

No, but I have named 2 of  my sewing machines . 

HS 

6 hours ago, Handstitched said:

2 of  my sewing machines

What? 45K58 and 196K205 ? or something more prosaic?

:)

You're all loonies, naming hammers and sewing machines . . . .

I call the foam heads I keep hats on Charlie and Louis,  and my armour stand Norman, cos he is one, and my car is called LOOPY (reg is LD05 UPY). I call my basic scratch awl 'the pokey hole thingy'.

An Ulsterism is to call something which you either do not know the name of or have temporarily forgotten 'that wee spud', eg  "Pass me that wee spud over there" (pointing) and anyone knows what you mean. Has nothing to do with potatoes

PS. This reminds me of;

Did you hear about the sewing machine which dreamt of going on and winning US/Australia/Canada/Britain's Got Talent? 

It was because it was a Singer!  :yeah:

:surrender:

I'll get me coat

Edited by fredk

Me loony?

hmmm, yeah ok then, but you know sanity is overrated!

@hwinbermuda "What? 45K58 and 196K205 ? or something more prosaic?"   no, ' Stewart' & ' Brutus' .

@fredk You can borrow my  straight jacket  :crazy:

HS