I have been doing my own beadwork for a while and now want to move on to building my own belts and start tooling. The hang up is I don't know where to start and I've exhausted YouTube as well as any other resource I can find at the library, but it doesn't seem to add up to much. I have the gist as far as the general technique, but I'm lacking in the actual way in which to measure to determine hole placements, beadwork length and such. My general idea so far is this:

Take beadwork two rows in all the way around to pig suede leaving a 1/4" border as well as stitching over strings at the ends to ensure they are secure.

Cut out belt top with corresponding bead window and tool. Add in holes and turn around (see I don't even know the correct jargon) for buckle. I mainly work with individuals who will be wearing buckles with their belts as in rodeo buckles so I have a 4 inch give or take gap.

Glue pig suede to bottom of belt. 

Glue top piece of belt over beads.

Stitch around belt.

Finish edges.

And that is as far as I've managed. I have an old Chandler Dy-337 and a heavier Janome sewing machine to manage between. I have no leather tools, but I have the space the willingness to attempt and fail as needed to learn. Unfortunately, there just isn't many leather workers up here to help me on this. And I'm trying to cut out an unnecessary  purchases and costly mistakes. I'm looking for guidance on what tools I need (I realize the tooling is a wide range depending on the style I will move forward with) but the basics when it comes to tooling and then finishing a project such as this. Also if there are any books that may be helpful I'm all ears. I missed the Rocky Mnt Show and now have to wait until Pendleton to get a good workshop in.

Thank you all for your input!

Edited by kbarker
additional comments

1 hour ago, kbarker said:

I have been doing my own beadwork for a while and now want to move on to building my own belts and start tooling. The hang up is I don't know where to start and I've exhausted YouTube as well as any other resource I can find at the library, but it doesn't seem to add up to much. I have the gist as far as the general technique, but I'm lacking in the actual way in which to measure to determine hole placements, beadwork length and such. My general idea so far is this:

Take beadwork two rows in all the way around to pig suede leaving a 1/4" border as well as stitching over strings at the ends to ensure they are secure.

Cut out belt top with corresponding bead window and tool. Add in holes and turn around (see I don't even know the correct jargon) for buckle. I mainly work with individuals who will be wearing buckles with their belts as in rodeo buckles so I have a 4 inch give or take gap.

Glue pig suede to bottom of belt. 

Glue top piece of belt over beads.

Stitch around belt.

Finish edges.

. . .

I'm having a problem visualising this construction. Especially the bit I've hi-lited

Fred, . . . 

If you are planning on allowing a buckle to go into the belt with beadwork nearby, . . . you most likely are asking for a lot of returned goods.  The stress at the buckle will not work with the beads.

Make your belt a two layer belt, . . . the top (outside) layer being about 7/8 oz, . . . and the inside layer at least a 5/6 oz.  make your beading 1/4 inch narrower on both sides (total 1/2 inch) than the outside dimension of the belt, . . . cut a window in the outside layer for the beading such as you see in the image below.

Contact cement the beading into the area of the window, . . . cement it to the inside piece of the belt.

Contact cement the outside piece over top of the beading and the strings on which you did the beading.

Sew the edges at 1/8 inch all around the belt, . . . then assemble the buckle etc.

May God bless,

Dwight

beaded belt.jpg

A gentleman in Pendleton Oregon named Joe Meling, is one of the most talented young and up in coming leather crafters in the business. Joe is one of the new instructors for Weaver Leather and is producing videos for them in leather crafting and tooling. Joe's business is 23+ and can be found on facebook under that name. Every week he does a video in learning to draw floral tooling patterns or in a series in putting together for a leather project. He calls it leather life and they are really good, free and very informative. He as just completed one on beaded belts from sizing, laying out the leather for the beads, inlaying the beads, tooling the leather, sewing, holes and hardware, and finishing the belt. 

Joe has also put together a paid version known as the leather life classroom that goes into more detail in each video and will have more videos in each series. The cost of the classroom is $10.00 a month. His teaching skills are outstanding, and the information in the free or paid version is worth the time to check it out.

Kbarker the videos will answer all your questions but give you a great visual of the process

Bobby

Treed,

Thank you thank you!! I have been trying to find decent tutorials, like the one below by the gal in OK. She has a great Part 1, but no Part 2 to show finishing. I have constructed enough bags and sewn things over the years to have a fairly decent idea of construction, but the particulars of specific weights of leather, thread size and tooling aren't as clear for me. Thank you for the information!

God Bless,

Kellie