chrisash

Whatever happened to the guy who was making a new selection of threads on the forum

About a year ago there was a guy on this forum who was making  a new line of threads, the posts went on for a few months with trials etc but seems to have vanished, did he ever get the new company up and running and if so does he have a site?

I vaguely remember that, but don't know what happened either. However, inspired by the recent thread (excuse the pun) about threads for beginners, and the closure of Tandy I've had a browse and a Surf to see what suppliers there are in Britain for thread for leather

A listing does not mean I've tried every type, and there are no large wholesalers or manufacturers, just those that I know will sell small quantities at the hobby level. Apologies to any that I've missed, perhaps we could add to it and compile a complete list

ABBEY ENGLAND  Ritza and other synthetic; various thicknesses of linen. They do not publish prices on their website, you have to register

LE PREVO Linen & synthetic; besides regular stock they often have clearance offers

IDENTITY LEATHER Various synthetic & linen; have short lengths of Ritza at a reasonable price

BOWSTOCK LEATHER Linen in various thicknesses

ARTISAN LEATHER Linen in various colours & lengths; Amy Roke polyester; 'waxed polyester' which looks very similar to Tandy's ready waxed nylon

H WEBBER Don't sell much thread but I've listed them because they sell Osborne tools and give the prices; they do stock thread refills for the auto awl

LEATHER4CRAFT Various colours and thicknesses of linen; Serafil polyester in various colours

BUECHERTIGER SUPPLIES Several makes  and colours of linen thread, including Fil au Chinois; will sell short lengths

Edited by zuludog

Thanks for reopening this, guys.

Following last week's on threads, I was asked if I could do something out of my usual colorways (Barbours Linen based) so this is a greast resource from a UK perspective.

Harry

Funny you should bring that up. I was going to order some thread last week and got to wondering about it myself. I believe it was @Garyspruill that was doing it. But I haven't heard anything in quite a while. Good concept, hope he is still working on it.