Kolton45

Hermann oak leather

So I'm about to buy my first full side of hermann oak from Springfield leather company and was wondering if there is a big difference between the b grade and the craftsman I will be cutting belt from it and then using the rest for other projects that can cut around blemishes 

they have a detailed description on their website.

for belts, bends are the best.

you won't get anything of grade A/standard (the best) grade. Even their B grade  often far from B/second

I’d almost given up on them. I’ve ordered several sides of B grade from slc. The last one that came in is actually B had one blemish and one butcher mark. The others were scarred blemishes holes etc. more like craftsman grade. Someone told me to try panhandle leather. Haven’t don’t that yet but will soon. 

Wickett craig. Another story. Beautiful leather but temper got soft toward the end of last year. Just wasn’t firm at all. Not sure if it’s corrected now or not. Gauge wasn’t true either. 7/8 in spots 8/9 spots and even some spots reaching 10 oz. I really should ask if all that’s corrected. If so I’d go back to WC 

2 hours ago, Clintock said:

Wickett craig. Another story. Beautiful leather but temper got soft toward the end of last year. Just wasn’t firm at all. Not sure if it’s corrected now or not. Gauge wasn’t true either. 7/8 in spots 8/9 spots and even some spots reaching 10 oz. I really should ask if all that’s corrected. If so I’d go back to WC 

Nothing new there.  Those have been Wickett's downfalls for years.

On 7/21/2019 at 12:38 AM, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

If it was as firm as Herman oak, I don’t think they could tan it fast enough!

And on the other hand, HO firms up easily, but requires a bit more work to buff up like the W/C does.  6 er half dozen ... 

On 7/21/2019 at 9:38 AM, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

why?

what you think is the cause?

5 hours ago, nrk said:

why?

what you think is the cause?

As far as the density/softness issue, I'm assuming just a difference in tanning methods.  There is even a distinctive difference in the odor of the two leathers.  Hermann Oak has a fresh, very "organic", almost sweet smell when cased up, and Wickett has a more synthetic smell, less pleasing, to me anyway.

Regarding the weight issue, could be a number of things including where on the hide they measure, the point in the process that they measure, or just poor service.  I have heard in the past that Wickett buys mainly dairy hides, which tend to be lighter in weight (thinner).  The fact that their heaviest skirting offering is 12/14 oz, seems to confirm the use of lighter weight hides.

I used to use a lot of Wickett's leather.  The less dense/ softer hand that is characteristic of their leather is not necessarily always bad.  Some people prefer it.  I do like their variety of color offerings, but found that the leather was getting less consistent and yielding poorer, so I have been buying more Hermann Oak in the last couple years.

On 7/23/2019 at 4:22 AM, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

As far as the density/softness issue, I'm assuming just a difference in tanning methods.  There is even a distinctive difference in the odor of the two leathers.  Hermann Oak has a fresh, very "organic", almost sweet smell when cased up, and Wickett has a more synthetic smell, less pleasing, to me anyway.

Regarding the weight issue, could be a number of things including where on the hide they measure, the point in the process that they measure, or just poor service.  I have heard in the past that Wickett buys mainly dairy hides, which tend to be lighter in weight (thinner).  The fact that their heaviest skirting offering is 12/14 oz, seems to confirm the use of lighter weight hides.

I used to use a lot of Wickett's leather.  The less dense/ softer hand that is characteristic of their leather is not necessarily always bad.  Some people prefer it.  I do like their variety of color offerings, but found that the leather was getting less consistent and yielding poorer, so I have been buying more Hermann Oak in the last couple years.

when did this started realize less consistency?

I will share why I ask after your answer )

The consistency issue seems like it got worse a couple years ago.  I'd order a shipment of harness and skirting, all the same color and finish, different weights within the same order, and there would be so much difference in temper and weights that were supposed to be the same, that I decided to quit offering Wickett and Craig as an option to my customers when the last of that leather was gone.  Leather of the same type, within the same order seemed to either be too soft and mushy to be of any use, or the opposite end of the spectrum, too hard and stiff to be of use.  Weights were all over the place also.  I'd been buying black harness leather from them for a long time, with an occasion deviation just to damp something different, but kept going back to them.  I had a chance last week to see a harness I built from WC about 8 years ago, that has been used pretty regularly, and it has held up beautifully. Something has changed, and they won't admit it.

Wickett doesn't have a patent on the inconsistency issue though.  I bought 5 or 6 sides of black harness of Hermann Oak this spring, and it was so boardy I almost sent it back.  The shipment before was beautiful leather, good solid stuff, yet not hard.  The last shipment came through Weaver, as I had a large amount of hardware to order also, so I got the case pricing on everything.  I even called HO to see if possibly they do something a little different in their process specifically for Weaver.  Their answer was that it all comes off the same pile.  As much as I hate synthetics, I can see why so many makers have gone to it.  At least it's all the same.

Where in PA?  Wickett-Craig tannery is out there... I'd be there about every other saturday if i was close ;)

On 8/25/2019 at 11:18 AM, JLSleather said:

Where in PA?  Wickett-Craig tannery is out there... I'd be there about every other saturday if i was close ;)

I'm in south eastern pa they are a few hours from me 

On 7/20/2019 at 10:26 PM, Clintock said:

I’d almost given up on them. I’ve ordered several sides of B grade from slc. The last one that came in is actually B had one blemish and one butcher mark. The others were scarred blemishes holes etc. more like craftsman grade. Someone told me to try panhandle leather. Haven’t don’t that yet but will soon.  

Just to make a note on this. The leather from Hermann Oak is Graded before it leaves their tannery. 

We all have our faults as well, but just want to put it out there...that Hermann Oak has a leather grader that grades the leather before it even comes in our door....or leaves their's.