kyleboedeker

Just ordered a hand crank CB3200!

Welp. I finally pulled the trigger on a cowboy. After 6 months of hand stitching, a couple weeks of messing around with one of those chinese patchers and a bought and returned Tippmann Boss, I finally decided to do it right with the Cowboy.  I opted for the hand crank version for a few reasons. First it saved me about 400 dollars as well as much lower shipping costs. Second, I really like the control of the hand crank machines i've tried. Third, I don't really have room for the big table setup. I will mount it on a harbor freight grinder stand. Fourth, my plan is to start selling bags and wallets etc at craft shows around St. Louis and I am going to take the machine with me to set up and sew while I'm at the table. I think it will draw people in. Anyway, I called Bob at Toledo and Alexander at Solar and talked to both of them. Solar ended up being able to ship out the machine faster at around the same price, so I went with them. Now I play the waiting game  and figure out how to tell my wife I spent 1800 bucks on a sewing machine.

Cranking out products at a Craft Show will definitely garner attention, but you may want to consider having a helper doing the actual sales of pre-produced items. You can stay busy answering questions from the lookers, but once they become buyers, let your assistant finish the sale.  A manual sewing machine at a show is almost always a hit. It won’t make a buyer out of every passer-by, but most of them will notice your booth, if only just a little. It makes most of them feel like the price of admission (if there is one) was worth it to get to see crafts being produced right there in front of them.  

I packed handcrank and treadle machines to Quilt Shows and Craft Shows the past 13 years and cranked out quilt blocks while my wife did the selling (we have a retail fabric business). Watching the machine was mesmerizing to both young and old, and even gave Mom or Dad time to actually look at your items while a youngster’s attention was on the machinery.

Keep on cranking.  I’m a huge fan of manually operated sewing machines.

CD in Oklahoma

9 hours ago, kyleboedeker said:

Now I play the waiting game  and figure out how to tell my wife I spent 1800 bucks on a sewing machine.

Hopefully her birthday is near the delivery date. Put a pretty ribbon (her favourite colour) on it and say look what I got you for your birthday. Also build a dog house you are probably going to need it.

kgg

haha don't think she'd go for it. Maybe if I just put it in my leatherworking space she won't notice. She knows I had picked up that Tippmann Boss and that I was pretty unhappy with it and returned it, so I'm sure she won't be too surprised to find another machine down there. I was (mostly) kidding... through I will probably downplay the cost a bit. "I bought it on clearance!"

3 hours ago, kyleboedeker said:

haha don't think she'd go for it. Maybe if I just put it in my leatherworking space she won't notice. She knows I had picked up that Tippmann Boss and that I was pretty unhappy with it and returned it, so I'm sure she won't be too surprised to find another machine down there. I was (mostly) kidding... through I will probably downplay the cost a bit. "I bought it on clearance!"

I will absolutely send a sheet with the documentation that says "Congratulations on your 30% OFF Sales Purchase!"    

Don't forget to serve alternative pages ( with the higher retail price inc the 30% ) on your website to anyone coming in with Kyle's Ip address..Otherwise... :)

5 hours ago, SolarLeatherMachines said:

I will absolutely send a sheet with the documentation that says "Congratulations on your 30% OFF Sales Purchase!"    

By golly THAT'S customer service!   LOL

7 hours ago, SolarLeatherMachines said:

Haha awesome! You rock!