wydfuqnopn

Consew 206-rb5 seems to snag, sort of, on the upstroke

First of all I love the machine. I knew nothing about sewing with a machine or by hand until I started sewing leather 8 months ago. I am on the machine almost daily. still know mostly nothing.

I was using just the hand wheel and every time I make a stitch and the needle is almost back to top position I hear a sound like threat trying to get through a thorn bush. So I opened the bed window and flashed a light in on the bobbin while continuing tp roll the hand wheel forward and sure enough every time the needle picks up the bobbin thread and rotates one time around the bobbin case, the thread gets hung up ever so briefly. I am going as slow as possible using the hand wheel and I can actually sew but the faster I go, the top thread starts to shred which eventually ends in thread snapping. I am using tex90 thread and 21-23 needles. I noticed that when I use reverse it really seems to snag and get held up. so much that I can actually feel the friction through the machine.

Thank you for sharing your expertise in helping me to find answers that do not cost $145 per hour.

Sincerely, Steve

Welcome to my world!

My Durkopp is a similar machine. For some reason there seems to be little space for the thread to pass between the bobbin carrier and the needle plate.

Depending on the size thread you are using, the notch that holds the bobbin case finger can be deepen.  I have done that on a number of machines and my own machines over the years.  The #92 is not considered a heavy thread.  The #138 is considered a heavy thread.  I want the needle thread to pass thru that notch unabated.  Your machine has a horizontal hook so there is no bobbin case lever on it.  Deepening the notch a little with some Mitchell cord is one alternative or moving  the hook ever so slightly so that the gap of the bobbin case finger in the notch is ever so slightly bigger might work as well.  The key here is the thread should not hang up in that notch what so ever.  Hope that explains a possible solution.

glenn

I would use a size 19 or 20 needle if you are using tex 90 thread.  there may be a issue in how you threaded the top thread.  you can upload a picture and im sure someone will be able to let you know if it is threaded correctly. 

Step one Make sure top thread is threaded properly including take up spring.

Step two  Hook is close to the needle about 1/32. Hook is on keyway so don.t

worry about losing timing.  This is important cause  the top thread

may get split if not close enough.

Step three  Check that escapement is properly adjusted.  I've had 206s since 1976

and have never had to adjust that item.

Step four  Check needle bar for proper height, check you tube I

I don't remember the specs.

If this doesn't work send pictures.

I have a Consew 206RB-4 that sews soft leather up to @5-6 oz fine, but whenever I try to sew harder leather that is @8 oz or thicker, using the same needle and thread combination, the thread shreds as the needle exits the leather on the way up.  Looking forward to hearing comments on this post that might help me to correct my issue.

Gary

Edited by garypl
Correct misspelling