After messing around with a few different design ideas, I settled on Tony See's pattern (DieselpunkRo on Etsy) for a large Weekender bag. I decided using a well-tested pattern reduced the risk of major errors especially when the project needed a lot of nice leather!! 

The leather is Stafford Tan shoulder from AA Crack, about 2.2mm,  which happened to be in their sale clearance; and I used 1mm Havana Tiger thread. 

I decided to make a cotton webbing shoulder strap rather than leather as I find them more comfortable and less likely to slip. Plus making a leather one would have meant buying another piece of leather!

weekender.png

Looks well done Andy:thumbsup:

Nice!

Great looking bag. I bet anybody would be proud to own it.

Just one little question ... are the leather handles a bit long? I am wondering how the bag feels to carry?

Rockoboy. The leather handles are fine for me when carrying it, the angle of the photo may be giving a false impression. They are also just long enough to put an arm through and hoist the bag onto your shoulder if the shoulder strap wasn't attached. I did add a paracord core to the handles, which makes them stiffer and stand up more.

They are the length from the pattern. With hindsight, I should attached them with D rings rather than the suggested rectangular loops.

15 hours ago, AndyNext said:

I should attached them with D rings rather than the suggested rectangular loops.

I was not sure about the length, but I understand what you mean about the pic not showing exactly how they sit.

On the 'D' ring versus rectangular loop question, I prefer the rectangular loops. I think they look more high class. '

D' rings will possibly cause the handle to fail eventually, because it has a wear point at the edge of the strap where the 'D' ring contacts ... if you understand what I mean?

Very nice bag. 

Looks good. This was the dieselpunk pattern, right? My zipper piece ended up too long as well. I ended up cutting it off. 

Very classy sir.love to see more of it!

1 hour ago, zipsfan said:

Any idea about how many square feet of leather is required for this?

The  pattern states that it requires approximately 17 square feet of 6 oz leather for the large and 8 square feet for the small.

1 hour ago, GatoGordo said:

The  pattern states that it requires approximately 17 square feet of 6 oz leather for the large and 8 square feet for the small.

Grazie.