Sign in to follow this  
Prestige593

First knife sheath.

IMG_9920.thumb.jpg.813303e80b290ef3c8a7e742eddf7e73.jpgThis is my first attempt at making a knife sheath. A friend at work has a handmade knife that needed a handmade sheath. I used some brown oil tanned and added a lizard skin in the cuttout. I'm pretty happy with it, and so is he.

Nice knife and a good looking sheath to go with it. Your stitching is very tidy, plus I like the colour combo of the inlay, thread and the leather. Did you use a welt on the sheath?

Great job.

12 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Nice knife and a good looking sheath to go with it. Your stitching is very tidy, plus I like the colour combo of the inlay, thread and the leather. Did you use a welt on the sheath?

Sorry, not up on all of the terms. What is a welt? I could guess that its a spacer between the top and bottom. If so, Yes, I used a thin leather spacer for some clearance for the knife to slide into.

8 hours ago, Prestige593 said:

What is a welt?

A welt is a layer of leather between the front and back layers that stops the blade from contacting, and possibly, cutting the thread. You can see it in some sheaths because the sheaths look thicker than just a front and back.

Some people use a welt right around the sheath, and some people only use a welt on the cutting edge side, some people taper the welt so the sheath is thinner towards the tip of the knife. I don't think there is a right or wrong way, just personal preference.