MikeF

LACING OR THONGING A MITERED BOX CORNER

Has anyone tried to lace or thong a mitered box corner (or 4 of them to be more precise---if you only did 1 to 3, then I already know the answer)?  "Boxed" myself into a corner (oh man this just keeps getting worse) and I'm looking for a creative way to assemble a fairly large market basket...originally was going to sew miter corners but having second thoughts because of the lighter thickness leather I used...shrank after drying and now I'm not sure a mitered sewn joint is going to get the job done.  Thought about using a corner brace sewn it...but trial runs proved to be ugly...not as in hard to do but more like, the end result was homely ugly.  Anyway...if you've ever laced a mitered corner I'd be interested in what stitch you used.

r/

Mike

Solved...for me anyway.  After a few test pieces, I settled on mitering the joint like I would if I was going to stitch it, add a little cement, an 1/8" dowel rod reinforcing the back of the corner and a place for the lace to bear without distorting the corner (I think quarter round would work better but I can't find any that small right now and don't have time to make my own)...then just use a butt joint lacing stitch or a whip stitch...both worked fine in my tests...still fussing with what sizes I want to use and what the intervals should be for the holes, but in my messing around they all worked and looked fine.  Photo is one of the test chunks...I did quite a few tests before I start punching holes in the good stuff.

miterLace1.jpg

Oh...I should mention...44 inches of lace for 3inches of corner...that includes a start and stop though, so  I think the ratio is going to be pretty close to 12:1.  12 inches of lace for an inch of corner...I was pretty close to the same for both 1/8" lace and 1/4" lace...also, when I used 1/4 inch lace I used a quarter inch dowel.

Final Result...I used a 3 mm kangaroo lace I've been holding onto for 10 years...great to work with.  The latice look, as opposed to a closer lay with the lace, was intentional.  Wasn't to thrilled with the random burnishing that caused the color changes...but whatever...its leather.

miterLaceFinal1.jpg

Ohh that’s come out very nice 

That is a great looking job. Can we see the entire project please.

Brian, I will post a shot of the overall project ...a few finishing touches to wrap up yet. Thank you very much for your comment and interest.

Brilliant solution you came up with. The dowel was a great idea. Looks good, can't wait to see the finished bag.

I see a few little tweaks I still need to do...but here's the final result (for the most part).  Thanks again all for the interest.FirstResponderTributeMarketBasket.thumb.jpg.b6ec1ae71ae1fe8a02c4fc067eb80589.jpg

Other side.

FirstResponderTributeMarketBasketOtherside.jpg

That is very very good..what is it to carry ?

MikeSC...general market basket or grocery basket for B Shift down at the firehouse.

I just love the image of a fireman skipping down to the store for some shopping with this basket...

Is is that just me?

great basket BTW

I don't know, HaloJones...

Sure there's a ritual for getting the groceries...but I don't know about the skippin'...I'll ask the probies though and see what they think...my son's are both Lieutenants now, so they don't have to carry the basket...I'll suggest it though; I'm sure the probies will go for it.

WOW! That is a work of art! Definitely worth checking out! Check out? see what I did there? :lol: