TsStudioLeather

Sewing Machine Choices

I am wanting to purchase a sewing machine, and I think I have narrowed it down to three.  I would like to get some feedback from those of you who know your stuff.  Anyone have any pros or cons about the following machines?:

- Techsew 1660

- Juki 1541S

- Consew 206RB-5

Thank you for any help or advice!

: )

I purchased a Consew 206RB-5 last fall and just love it. It will sew through nearly a half inch of leather with relative ease. I am making bags, briefcases, belts and other things and it is perfect. I recently made a briefcase and stitched together a handle that consisted of a layer of harness leather, 10-12 oz, and two layers of 8-9 oz leather, the most I have put through this machine and it handled it well. My only issue is that I could really use a cylinder arm machine for bags to do interior flat stitches, but that will be my next machine. I did consider the Juki, but the Consew won.

If the Consew takes the lead in this contest, I would recommend you try a 206rb-1, 2, 3 etc.  The older gray Japanese machines are a world better in my book.  The 206rb-5 always sounds like it needs oil... Clackety-clack it goes, and no amount of oil helps.

The earlier models were built to more exacting standards and sound like a well oiled machine.  Smooth, quiet and nice.

Good luck making a decision.

Bluzoom what thread size were you running.

All three machines are compound feed machines, great feeding choice. The Techsew 1660 is a Chinese clone costs approximately $1800. The Juki 1541S is made in Japan costs $1800. The Consew 206RB-5 I think is a Chinese clone costs approximately $1400.

If dollars are the major factor then I would probably go with the Consew. If you want the best in this class of upholstery sewing machine then go with the Juki. The quality is there right out of the box from fit to finish. A very detailed operating and service manual also comes with the machine which can be very helpful down the road. Since this is a nice layout of cash if possible go see and compare all three machines before purchasing. A lot will also depend on the dealer that you buy from (machine setup, warranty, support, etc.). I do own a Juki 1541S it is accurate (forward or reverse) and it will sew whatever I can force, stuff under the presser foot. Buy Once, Cry Once.

Thank you for your input.  Buying a leather sewing machine is overwhelming.  Although I think I have narrowed it down to those three, I am worried that down the road, I will regret not purchasing a cylinder arm with a flat table attachment.  If I go that route, Wizcrafts recommended either the Cowboy CB227R or the Techsew 2700.  So, I guess I have really only narrowed it down to five machines, LOL!

"Buy once, cry once" ... I love that kgg, so true!

A few months ago I purchased a Cowboy CB3200 cylinder arm and a Juki DNU-1541 about 2 weeks after that.  Each have there particular strengths in materials, thickness and thread sizes. The Cowboy is good for thread sizes from 138 up to 346 and up to 5/8" (40oz) of stacked leather.  The Juki is good for thread sizes from 69 to 138 and up to 3/8" (24oz) of stacked leather. I thought these two machines complemented each other very well. I was fortunate, having just sold my boat, to be able to buy both machines at the same time (without an objection from the mrs. ;) ) If you're purchasing one of the 3 machines that you've listed, I naturally am going to recommend the Juki. I looked at it this way...the others, which I'd also considered, are Juki clones and made in China. Juki's are made in Japan and viewed as having better quality control. Why by the clone especially for just a few hundred more you can have the original article. Well, I guess really the original article was the Singer 111W155, but we're not talking relics here. Though if a good deal came along I would probably purchase that Singer as well, on just the coolness factor alone.  Anyways, with just the one machine you will be somewhat limited no matter which one you go with. No problem, because you'll have many, many projects that are well suited for that one machine. Later on down the line, like many that are serious about their craft, you'l add another, and then perhaps another, and then perhaps just one more.... :)

...Tony

Edited by TonyRV2

Have you decided what you will be making mostly if that happens to be best sewn on a flatbed buy the Juki 1541S if it happens to be a cylinder bed machine machine then go that direction. Depending on your budget another expensive alternative would be also a Juki cylinder machine maybe the LS 1341 or a LS 341. Whatever type of new machine you purchase first you can always buy a good used machine later on for those times you need the other style. There is no one machine that is going to do everything, every machine has it's pro and cons. I am not a fond lover of clones and would purchase a good used Singer, Juki or Alder over a clone any day but each to their own.

kgg