Sign in to follow this  
airplaneguy

Leather racing jacket

I have been asked by a friend to make a leather racing jacket for his son who races go karts. It is basically a motorcycle racing jacket. i have searched everywhere and i can't find a pattern. If anyone can help me locate one, I would greatly appreciate it. I am not looking for a freebie, i will pay for one. Thanks!

If you can't find anything specifically for leather, maybe you could use a pattern intended for cloth, with an allowance for the thickness of the leather.

I have looked for a cloth pattern and I can’t find anything. I did find a pattern that I thought I could adapt to my needs, but it didn’t work out. 

Buy a cheap kids vinyl jacket / windcheater / fake "biker" jacket ( correct size )..take it apart..Voila..pattern..if he wants a "perfecto" type cross over front and other similar stuff, you'll have to alter add some parts..get an adult one in the style that he wants ( presumably he has one ) to see what needs to be altered :)

You know that you can actually buy leather biker jackets for kids for around $50.00 - $100.00 in the USA ..

Edited by mikesc

If the boy will be racing in it with a sanctioning agency- please get the safety specs if there are any for the gear. (flame retardant, impact or pad minimums, nomex lining or what...)

Some agencies are pretty strict and I wouldn't want him to get disqualified or you get a lawsuit.

In another hobby- I made a pair of aluminum clamps for a fellows' dirt bike and because they weren't certified by  the association or commercial safety engineers it disqualified the kid from his race. Even though they were milled from spec aluminum and heat treated to guidelines. I didnt have the impact testing materials analysis (very costly to get and you have to send in LOTS of paperwork).

If its for non race wear- man have at it and post pics! 

Agree with that..there is also that commercially available racing leathers have ( or should have included ) all the back , elbow and shoulder protective ABS and or kevlar armour inserts..

and the suppliers / importers/ retailers of them...are certified and they have liability insurance..Just in case..

Thanks for the advice. It is for a sanctioned racing body and I already have the approved specs for the jacket. I raced years ago with his dad, so I was aware that certain things needed to be done to be legal. As far as buying one for $50-$100, those don’t exist. The cheapest one is around $350. To me it is not about the price. Being able to make something for a friend is priceless. I have added a picture of an example. It’s not the best picture, but you can get an idea of what I am looking for. 

384EF0E5-C406-4B4C-B170-F635B68FC567.jpeg

When I gave you that $50.00 to $100.00 price you had not said that it was to racing specs..they do exist at that price..but not to racing specs..

$50.00 to $100.00 is what the jackets, all sizes kids and adults, men or women's  ( like the one that you posted a picture of ..cost each FOB made in Pakistan or India*..to racing specs )

Then..the importers , USA or UK etc ..increase the retail price to $350..00 and upwards..the one you posted the pic of..is Pakistani..I have it in a catalogue somewhere..( available in many different colour combinations..3mm cowskin, with armour , removable lining..minimum quantity would be as low as 10 pieces ) ..Most retail Pakistani leather wear does not have heads or hands showing in the pictures that their sites show to OEM buyers..

*There are entire cities in both those countries whose economy is based upon supplying OEM leather wear ( biker, club, western,BDSM, fashion etc..) you then buy it under various major brand names, marked made in USA..I know a few companies there who will even do OEM "made to measure"..turn around time 3 weeks..shipped DHL, Fedex, UPS by air to you, for resale to your customer..Many of them now even have wholesale and retail outlets ( and online ) in the USA, UK, and Australia..Been dealing with them since the mid 90s..and no..I'm not giving out contacts or addresses etc, to pre-empt pms from anyone.. :)

*Most of what gets sold as "western" in the USA is made in those two countries, including many "Native American"  leather jackets etc..the bone decorative work is all camel or buffalo depending on if the items are Pakistani or Indian.

Edited by mikesc
edited to add "western" big market for them

You can get leather patterns made by experts on fiverr for around 50 to 100 USD, just need to provide them with pictures of the garment /jacket, size you need and file type you would like it. 

Edited by Phillip

Thanks for the info Phillip. I will check that out.