Daviddm

Draping leather over a pipe or wooden pole

I have a small work shop and I am trying to find a way to store my leather sides and smaller pieces. The small ones, I think, will be in short PVC tubes under a 4'x4' table. 

I have a wall that I will have room to make a cabinet around 6' wide 12" deep. My question is, would it be ok to drape the larger wider hides on horizontal bars and hang down without damage? Will they stretch too much? Will that bar leave a permanent mark? 

I was thinking of using black iron threaded pipe or wooden dowels either swinging out like on a swing arm or just hangers and pull them down as needed. I like the swing arm idea to be able to get to the ones in the back easier. 

Any ideas for that spot for be appreciated. 

Thanks

I would stay away from using iron or steel (unless you can use stainless steel) in contact with leather. Iron can leave a stain. If you want to use iron, you could apply heat shrink plastic to protect your leather. Timber or plastic would be my preference.

As a preference, I would also try to use a larger diameter, like a 4inch PVC pipe rather than a curtain rail or a broom handle.

I would like to see pics of what you come up with. There is always a better idea.

19 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

I would stay away from using iron or steel (unless you can use stainless steel) in contact with leather. Iron can leave a stain. If you want to use iron, you could apply heat shrink plastic to protect your leather. Timber or plastic would be my preference.

As a preference, I would also try to use a larger diameter, like a 4inch PVC pipe rather than a curtain rail or a broom handle.

I would like to see pics of what you come up with. There is always a better idea.

I like your heat shrink idea. The problem with the 4 inch PVC is space.  Thanks

2 minutes ago, Daviddm said:

The problem with the 4 inch PVC is space. 

I can understand that, I have the same problem. Four inch is better than 3 inch, but 3 inch is better than 2 inch, and so on. So ... do the best you can, with what you have.

Also remember that its best to cover your leather so it does not get darkened by sunlight or introduced light. The colour change can be OK if its what you want over an entire hide or piece of leather, but a tan line across the middle can damage good leather.