kbarker

Husband has cleared me for new machine!

Okay so.... I am getting a new machine with almost full cart blanche allowed. Here's the setup. I have a Janome Horizon 8900 from my sewing days which does everything fabric related and light garment weight leather. I also have a 20 year old Chandler DY-337 which can sail through canvas and light leather, BUT its presser feet leave horrible marks on the leather if its something like veg tanned so only the softer ones will work there (if you know of a model that interchanges where I can find smooth presser feet I'd love to know). Also, if you've ever used one, there isn't much presser clearance and its not a compound fed machine. 

So here's where my work is and where it is going. I currently love doing leather bags, everything from 2/3 up to heavy buffalo, and smaller leather goods. The issue is I don't have the maneuverability I need for bags with the flat bed, so a compound feed cylinder arm is in my sights and I am moving towards veg tanned pieces such as inlaid leather belts, spur straps, chaps, building custom orders which could include heavier layers such as skirts for welders and such where a cylinder arm will come in handy. I want the freedom of torque to attempt all manner of projects from saddle bags to tack, but I want a reserve, so to speak, so I'm not running into the upper limits of the machine. There aren't any saddles in my future so there is a limit. Something that could handle smaller projects like wallets (because I'm not a fan of the Chandler mainly because of the feet), but also have the thread capability to run through belts, and 2-3 layers of veg tan. If there's not a machine with that range I understand. I've seen all manner of suggestions between Techsew 2700, Juki, Cobra and Cowboy models. There seems to be a dilemma between clones and other models and everyone has there favorites, but is there actual issues with some brands over others?

I don't have much of an option to find a good used machine. There aren't many crafters up where I'm at (NW Montana) who have spares laying around, nor am I going to risk buying something online. I have the ability to buy new so I'm asking you all, where would you stick your money if you were me? I need dependable, smooth, quiet and easy maintenance. I'm handy at fixing when things need it, but I don't want a fixer every time I set up a project. 

Thank you all for your due diligence in these forums. You spend so much time helping us out and its most appreciated. 

Earlier in your post I was leaning my opinion towards the cb341. Small cylinder, large bobbin, and a 3/8" lift capable of using 207 thread on top and bottom. Later in your post I would tend to lean towards the cowboy 3200 for more capacity.

I am nothing near an expert or even a good machine user. I do own the 3200, but I was leaning hard towards the 341 when the 3200 fell in my lap. 

It seems your needs are falling right in between the two sweet spots of these machines. The 341 is going to excel in the lower end of your requirements and the 3200 will be in it's sweet spot at the upper end of your needs.

That being said, I would probably work with the 3200. You may have to live with larger thread and needles on your smaller goods, but the machine can run lighter stuff. It just won't be able to do it with the same amount of grace as the 341.

To everyone in the know, feel free to correct any thing I have advised if I am in the wrong.

Good luck.

Biker, I was thinking the same thing. The 3200 appears to rate well with those who have one and appears to be a good fit for kbarker's needs ( the next step up is a 441 and that would definitely be overkill in this case).

2 hours ago, kbarker said:

I also have a 20 year old Chandler DY-337 which can sail through canvas and light leather, BUT its presser feet leave horrible marks on the leather if its something like veg tanned so only the softer ones will work there (if you know of a model that interchanges where I can find smooth presser feet I'd love to know).

You can buy a triple feed walking foot machine that has smooth feet available (and are usually standard). A good example is the Consew 206RB-5. It takes the same numerous styles of inside and outside feet as the old Singer 111w155.

My only concern with the cb3200 is not enough throat if I decide to utilize it with bigger projects. I don't want the material to get bound up. I also forgot to mention that I would want something with a  flatbed attachment so I could convert if needed. I'm going to try and retro fit the Chandler to handle the lighter stuff since I already have it in place and its a well working machine. I was thinking of taking the points off the presser feet ridges to help with the mark up. Is the biggest issue with machines such as the Techsew 2700 that they are just clones? Don't they still work well? Do the CB come with some kind of incredible guarantee that the other makers don't which makes them a cut above?

Thanks

2 hours ago, kbarker said:

My only concern with the cb3200 is not enough throat if I decide to utilize it with bigger projects. I don't want the material to get bound up.

You will need to look into a full size 441 clone (or a Juki TSC-441). I use a Cowboy CB4500 (16.5" arm) and don't regret the expense at all. I have sewn holsters that are 7/8" thick, all the way down to hemming denim jeans (double folded seam). The machine can be dumbed down to sew thinner work with thin thread and needles. The optional flat slotted throat plate is a must have to sew soft, thin leather or other materials.

I don't know about what you will be building, however I build saddles and tack and have built a number of saddles on an Artisan Toro 3000 (no longer sold new, but leather machine Co and Toledo sewing machine co have a similiar one) and there is nothing on saddles, tack and chaps that the 9" arm cannot sew well and efficiently in my opinion.  However, I have a Juki Pro 2000 with a 16" arm  and like it.   I would advise you to pay close attention to Wiz and his advice.  A wealth of information and knowledge which he shares with all of us.  HTH  Ken

As far as warranties they are all over the place for sewing machines in general, domestic or industrial. They generally are ranging from set time warranties, lifetime warranties to limited lifetime warranties and everything in between, you will have to do a bit of research. When you narrow it down to your top couple of picks request detailed warranty information and compare them against one and another.

Some things to compare / check:

Return policy particularly if you have to have it shipped

Return shipping costs

Restocking charges

Repair labour costs

What is not covered under the warranty.

kgg

I think any of the dealers listed in the banner on top of this site are reputable.  I have done business, a lot with Steve and several times with Toledo Sewing and both are helpful, honest and good people.   I don't know the others but would not be afraid to do business with any of them.   HTH.  Ken

@Ken Nelson, I will second that. I have been here long enough to see Cobra Steve, Cowboy Bob, Alexander from Solar, and that other guy back east (I think at Ken's Sewing) all be super helpful to non customers here. They all have a great friendly reputation and I have even seen them answer queries on each other's machines.

My cowboy is used and I wouldn't hesitate to ask if I needed help on it from one of these guys.

@kbarker, there is a member here named @Uwe that makes a very nice flat bed attachment for the 3200 and 4500. 

As far as clones go.... If you are buying one from these banner dealers, those machines are built to their specs. They are fine machines built at a more reasonable price point than the machines they are clones of. These are all inspected, tuned, and tested by these guys before they are shipped.

Give them a call if you want. They will answer your questions, give you sound advice, and they have even been known to refer people to a different brand they don't carry. They will help you find the right machine.

@bikermutt07 I appreciate the follow up. I have realized that I would probably be happy with a few different machines and hunting for the "perfect" one is more hindering than helpful. It has also been suggested by a craftsman up here who is well established to look into Artisan machines. He runs a 4000 and a lighter weight machine, also Artisan, but can't remember which (-sc) something, for chaps. I have an Artisan dealer here, if I had issues at least. 

I have decided to set up an in home shop and the new machine is the first step, followed by tools. It's a really excited endeavor to be pursuing and I'm thankful to have this kind of community to bounce ideas off of!

Having a good dealer of decent machines close to your location is the way to go should you need repairs / support. Let us know what machine you decide on.

kgg 

3 hours ago, kbarker said:

@bikermutt07 I appreciate the follow up. I have realized that I would probably be happy with a few different machines and hunting for the "perfect" one is more hindering than helpful. It has also been suggested by a craftsman up here who is well established to look into Artisan machines. He runs a 4000 and a lighter weight machine, also Artisan, but can't remember which (-sc) something, for chaps. I have an Artisan dealer here, if I had issues at least. 

I have decided to set up an in home shop and the new machine is the first step, followed by tools. It's a really excited endeavor to be pursuing and I'm thankful to have this kind of community to bounce ideas off of!

What area is that? I didn't know artisan was currently producing machines. That shows how much I know about machines. Please keep us posted with your experience involving that machine and dealer. It may help someone here in the future.

The dealer should have a mechanic who would be able to repair almost any sewing machine make, so no doubt whatever you brought they could assist with any problem

On 7/6/2019 at 8:40 PM, bikermutt07 said:

What area is that? I didn't know artisan was currently producing machines. That shows how much I know about machines. Please keep us posted with your experience involving that machine and dealer. It may help someone here in the future.

I'm up in NW Montana. Kalispell area with a shop that is quite capable thankfully.

kbarker, don't know if you are interested, but seen a CB3200 for sale on craigslist in Belgrade a bit ago. Not close enough for me, think you are about the same, but you might like a road trip.

I have a CB3200.  Was going to go with the CB341 because I was afraid that the CB3200 wouldn't go small enough. but it did!  It also goes larger than the 341 allowing me to grow.  I do have an old Singer 31-15 that I can do garment type leather on as well.