Daviddm

Oil on my 31-15 needle

I have a new to me Singer 31-15 with oil on my needle. That's not normal is it? This is my first machine and I have been practicing only with scrap. I have not oiled it at all, previous owner was using it and had taken very good care of it when I bought it. I did lay it down when I drove home with it. Could that have put oil where it should not? Would it be ok to take it off table and wash it down maybe with a pressure washer and start over oiling the correct spots?  

Thanks 

Laying it down would have let some oil run to where it should not be..not a problem,.. please do not pressure wash it*..just put some kitchen roll under the needle, spread out two or three thicknessess of it..then leave it for 24 hours or so..an oil will run down into the paper, then wipe the needle clean

When you are not using your machine put some kitchen roll under the needle ( pin it down / in place with the needle, by turning the machine wheel until the needle just pierces it..or you can lower the foot to stop it blowing away, and leave the needle up ) ..*pressure washing it would force out all the oil from where it should be, and many parts would get rusty very quickly, and maybe seize up..

Might as well wrap a few loops of cotton wick around the needle bar and leave it there.
As to resting your foot on cloth - you should always do that. Never let the foot rest on the feed dog as that wears both much quicker.

Each time you sew for the first time that day, this should be your checklist:

Oil all the oil points, wipe clean your needle, needle bar, presser foot/feet, feed dogs and needle plate. Replace the needle with a good quality one of the correct class and size if it's the one the machine came with or it has any bend or burr. Turn over a few times before putting power to it to ensure everything fits fine. Then thread up and start sewing.

Don't worry about the oil, all sewing machines leak oil at some point. I don't you've damaged it any way.

Thank you for the help and tips.

Old Singer sewing machines are like old Harleys; they need a lot of oil to keep running and leak all the time.

Also applies to Triumph motorcycles..you know where they have been parked, by the pool of oil they have left behind.. :)

If there's oil coming out = good

If there's no oil coming out = Bad

CD in Oklahoma

I leave a piece of scrap material under the foot of my machines, with the needle touching the fabric when I have finished using them. That way when I start stitching my threads are held and the needle is wiped and I cut it off my work and put it back when finished sewing.

Bert.

Edited by Bert51

Old sewing machines Harley triumph and Jeep they don’t leak they mark their turf. If it’s leaking it has oil.