howlback

Favorite machine for sanding edges?

Looking to speed up the process for wallets when I’m glueing/sewing several pieces of leather together. Curious if anyone is using a sander to clean up/even out edges?

4" belt sander

Here is one of my favorite machines for sanding edges on holsters, etc., as well as touching up and improving on  some stamping tools.  A one by 30 inch belt sander from Harbor Freight.  Small, portable and very useful.  Also cheap! 

1inch belt sander.JPG

I use a old Craftsman 6x36 inch belt sander for straight edges. You can use the front drive roller for larger curves. I happen to be mostly involved in woodworking. So I also take advantage of a oscillating spindle sander for smaller curves. I normally start out at like 120 or 150 grit which ever is on the machine in use at the time. Then go up to 220 after that I switch to hand sanding for a finer finish, if desired. I find machines and finer grits often have a tendency to burn the leather. Or maybe I am just ham handed. Who knows?      

Some of your sanding can be avoided if you overcut a few of your pieces. By making nice cuts at the end thru a few layers you wind up with a lot nicer edge to start with before sanding.

Don Gonzales shows this technique on a few of his videos. 

I'm not sure I am sounding very clear. If this doesn't make sense let me know.

Some of your sanding can be avoided if you overcut a few of your pieces. By making nice cuts at the end thru a few layers you wind up with a lot nicer edge to start with before sanding.

Don Gonzales shows this technique on a few of his videos. 

I'm not sure I am sounding very clear. If this doesn't make sense let me know.