Hi,

new here and new to leather working and heavy machines, minus my old singer 96k. (But been working as seamstress at menswear shop 11years so have a general knowledge of sewing) 

I have just bought a second hand singer 45k89 but it only came with the one foot. I am wondering if anyone can help me find more feet and possibly a bobbin winder that attaches to the machine body (not the table, if that makes any sense)  I have asked a company called college sewing online but they have ignored my message and I’ve scoured eBay and I’m only finding bobbins and cases. So thought I’d ask a forum of people who know! 

Thanks in advance any help is much appreciated! 

6780CDAF-D44F-421A-B7DC-496FC80E110C.jpeg

@Mazzy1988 Moved your post to Leather Sewing Machines.  Much more likely to get answers here.  Help wanted is sort of like the classified ads in a newspaper, looking to hire, or looking for employment.  All posts in help wanted have to be approved by a moderator before they are visible to the public.

Tom

I can't help you with the feet but generally with industrial machines unless the particular machine is designed to have an onboard bobbin winder in the first place then the chances of fitting one are pretty slim! Quite a few on here have made stand-alone bobbin winders, using various motors and drills to power them.

Bargain Sewing Machines in the UK once sold table mount bobbin winder for the barrel type bobbins on Ebay and Amazon.

https://www.amazon.de/Bobbin-Winder-Bullet-205-Industrie-N%C3%A4hmaschinen/dp/B077638XPY

https://picclick.co.uk/BOBBIN-WINDER-FOR-BULLET-BOBBINS-ADLER-Industrial-Sewing-272977530963.html

Their website is gone but maybe you can contact them through Ebay.

Singer and Adler produced feet for these jump foot machines. They are very hard to find. Unfortunately there are no after market feet for this machine.

First, congrats on a very fine machine. 45s are built like tanks, and dead easy to service.

True Singer 45s have been out of production for about 5 decades now, so many parts are hard to obtain. College don't have anything really, spoken with them in the past. Normally you have to wait for an old saddler to retire or have a clearout to find parts. Sometimes you get lucky with an old dealer, especially if they have parts machines -- try ringing Maury Sewing in Bethnal Green or Hartley Sewing in Walsall. 45Ks were designed for an on-head bobbin winder but, aesthetics aside, I prefer the table-mounted types.

Some high-mortality parts are available from China, since they make various clones of the 45K. There is one foot commonly listed, it's a plain foot but I'm thinking of importing a handful to see if I can fit/mod to fit my 45K58 and Adler kl5 (German Singer 45K21 clone).

What sort of foot/feet would you be after?

1 hour ago, Matt S said:

There is one foot commonly listed, it's a plain foot but I'm thinking of importing a handful to see if I can fit/mod to fit my 45K58 and Adler kl5 (German Singer 45K21 clone).

The presser foot situation for this style of machine is pretty grim....I went through something similar looking for a foot selection to fit my Seiko SK-6 not long ago. There are several machines reported to use the same foot style found on the 45K*....with a selection for the jump foot and the drop feed, which do not interchange. Mine is a simple drop feed, so that is all I really looked at. I saw the "plain foot" and found it useless for my application, as none of the available feet I ever found were able to be used with an edge guide very close to the needle. I believe that commonly seen ebay foot was made for a "GA5-1" type of 45Kish asian generic knock off, and supposedly fits the drop-feed 45K and Singer 132K6 type machines. I "heard" the Adler 105 stuff interchanges to some degree, but I have none here to verify that. I tried to find a wheel presser that would fit the 132K6/SK-6, but couldn't run a source down to the point of actually buying it, owing to the horrific translations and naming conventions on the popular "Asian" web sites. I ended up buying one from a well known dealer stateside, and received the single worst piece of overpriced Chinese rubbish I have ever held in my hand to date. Lesson learned. I resorted to just making my own feet, as I have with several other sewing-related items. I HAVE bought some decent quality hinged split-toe feet for the SK-6 from random suppliers off alibabba, they are drop-feed only,  but aren't much lower in quality than the original Seiko foot which came with my machine. I'm working on a wheel presser as time allows. Current selection pictured below:

-DC

45K_132K_feet.jpg

Edited by SARK9

The Adler 105-6 feet will fit, if you can find them. I think the price would be a big problem for most sewers.

I have been using GA5 feet and needle plates from Aliexpress.

Bert.

Mazzy,

This Singer parts lists shows what was offered by the factory for the 45K89 and the 45K56.  Note the pictures are to scale if you're inclined to fabricate some parts, which I did for a couple of my 45K's.

http://www.dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERPARTS2/45K56,K89.pdf

What is the bobbin size for this machine? I might have a barrel type bobbin winder sitting around somewhere, if memory serves.

The numbers for the bobbin is Adler 005 00 242 0, Singer 95093 and Towa #38 also known as type 39.

It is just under 31mm long and 19.3 mm wide with a 5.4 mm hole.

Bert.

Edited by Bert51
spelling

No, mine is only for a 3/9" or about 9mm bobbin diameter. :(

What type of machine do you have?

This chat is about a Singer 45K89 and it appears your bobbin is smaller.

Here is a good place to look up your bobbin, https://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=sewing-machine-bobbin-style-info

Bert.

Edited by Bert51
spelling

This was for the OP to have a winder, actually.

On 7/10/2019 at 4:02 PM, DrmCa said:

What is the bobbin size for this machine? I might have a barrel type bobbin winder sitting around somewhere, if memory serves.

Hiya. The bobbins are 30 mm long and 20mm diameter. I’m looking for the machine mounted winder as I’ve Frankensteined my machine table for my 96k49 to take the 45k89. And it already has a table mounted bobbing winder for the 96k so I am just being lazy wanting a machine mounted one for the 45k 

6A9F79E2-EAE8-41B2-8663-F374EC3EBE40.jpeg

Singer (to my best knowledge) only equipped their 45K machines with a very simple flip type bobbin winder. However - they are very hard to find as spares up to nearly unobtainable. But I have seen one on Etsy for crazy money :blink:

https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/622230555/sanger-45k-industrie-nahmaschine-spule

Not worth the money in my opinion but if you are in need of these parts you probably have to pay the price.

What I have is a spare automatic bobbin winder from a CLAES  machine but it is lacking the mounting base so thats what you have to DIY. Its not a too big task but depends on your DIY skills and if you have the tools. I´m using one of these winders for my DIY electric bobbin winder. Maybe a solution for you.

Here are some pictures of the actual winder I could offer you. last pic shows a similar one mounted to a machine.

So basically you have to make a sturdy L-shaped bracket for the winder for fit your machine. And you may need some sort of thread guide on top of your machine which guides the thread to the bobbin winder.

IMG_8492.JPG

IMG_8493.JPG

IMG_8495.JPG

winder.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

On 7/6/2019 at 3:03 PM, SARK9 said:

The presser foot situation for this style of machine is pretty grim....I went through something similar looking for a foot selection to fit my Seiko SK-6 not long ago. There are several machines reported to use the same foot style found on the 45K*....with a selection for the jump foot and the drop feed, which do not interchange. Mine is a simple drop feed, so that is all I really looked at. I saw the "plain foot" and found it useless for my application, as none of the available feet I ever found were able to be used with an edge guide very close to the needle. I believe that commonly seen ebay foot was made for a "GA5-1" type of 45Kish asian generic knock off, and supposedly fits the drop-feed 45K and Singer 132K6 type machines. I "heard" the Adler 105 stuff interchanges to some degree, but I have none here to verify that. I tried to find a wheel presser that would fit the 132K6/SK-6, but couldn't run a source down to the point of actually buying it, owing to the horrific translations and naming conventions on the popular "Asian" web sites. I ended up buying one from a well known dealer stateside, and received the single worst piece of overpriced Chinese rubbish I have ever held in my hand to date. Lesson learned. I resorted to just making my own feet, as I have with several other sewing-related items. I HAVE bought some decent quality hinged split-toe feet for the SK-6 from random suppliers off alibabba, they are drop-feed only,  but aren't much lower in quality than the original Seiko foot which came with my machine. I'm working on a wheel presser as time allows. Current selection pictured below:

-DC

45K_132K_feet.jpg

The 45K89 is a jump foot machine - drop feed presser feet do not work for this machine

On 9/5/2019 at 5:13 PM, Constabulary said:

Singer (to my best knowledge) only equipped their 45K machines with a very simple flip type bobbin winder. However - they are very hard to find as spares up to nearly unobtainable. But I have seen one on Etsy for crazy money :blink:

https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/622230555/sanger-45k-industrie-nahmaschine-spule

Not worth the money in my opinion but if you are in need of these parts you probably have to pay the price.

What I have is a spare automatic bobbin winder from a CLAES  machine but it is lacking the mounting base so thats what you have to DIY. Its not a too big task but depends on your DIY skills and if you have the tools. I´m using one of these winders for my DIY electric bobbin winder. Maybe a solution for you.

Here are some pictures of the actual winder I could offer you. last pic shows a similar one mounted to a machine.

So basically you have to make a sturdy L-shaped bracket for the winder for fit your machine. And you may need some sort of thread guide on top of your machine which guides the thread to the bobbin winder.

IMG_8492.JPG

IMG_8493.JPG

IMG_8495.JPG

winder.jpg

I saw that one on Etsy too. It is rather expensive! 

I have the table mounted winder I just don’t want to keep screwing and Unscrewing into table when I switch between the 96k and 45k. May just see what happens on eBay with time. 

Mice been looking through parts book and have made myself a list of the feet I want to collect for it as I only have the 91548 foot. Will be looking out for 91596 and 91550. Thanks for your advice so far! 

Its a shame you live in Germany! Would be awesome to see your machine set up!

B8ED0962-846B-48C1-9B2F-3E0AAA5B8EF9.jpeg