Mocivnik

New to lacing - what tools do I need?

I got interested in lacing for holsters and knife sheaths so I decided to buy the tools needed for lacing. (I will learn techniques later :lol: )

I want to lace holsters like holster below. What exactly tools and materials I need so I can lace like the one from the photo?

(a tandy's list would be perfection :lol: )

654465496_BondArms4.25DrivingHolster001R.jpg.14083cfe0277a5a7ca3f983523d12f9c.jpg

Edited by Mocivnik

I would use dividers to mark the hole-line, punches of different size and shape (I think some people prefer slotted holes for some projects, some might prefer round holes) needles, of which 2 types come to mind, double pin and perma-lok, a pointed modelling tool or stylus to assist with lining up holes or poking thread thru or help to even up tension etc etc.

I have only ever done a few simple laced jobs, so there might be more that the experts recommend.  

When selecting your punch, get the size needed for the lace you will have access to. I have found the same size of each works best. That may not be true for some lacing patterns that go through the same hole many times. If you decide to use a slot hole punch (which I would suggest you do) for the type of lacing you have shown here get the ones that are straight in line. Like: __ __ __ __ __  you don't want slanted ones. I would suggest you get a many pronged one and then a 2 slot one as well to get around the curves. You may still end up wanting a round hole punch for corners where the lace goes through several times. All depends on the work.

I've bought these from China. Should they work fine?

s-l1600.jpg

Those should work! So if those are 1/8" or 3.2 mm that is the size lace you should find as well. Let us know how it goes.

Guess I'm the "other guy" (again).  I much prefer the ANGLED slots... both for strength and for the look of the finished goods.

7000.jpg

22 hours ago, blue duck said:

Those should work! So if those are 1/8" or 3.2 mm that is the size lace you should find as well. Let us know how it goes.

So I am looking for 1/8" lace and what needles do i need? Tand link perhaps? 

If i got this right, i just need flat front chisels (black from the photo) and this lace and these needles? 

Screenshot_20190711-085118.jpg

Screenshot_20190711-085042.jpg

Find this one. This one is angled. Is 3 prong good for use? For less than 3 I can just use the 1-prong I already have and angle it? 

Screenshot_20190711-090853.jpg

On 7/8/2019 at 12:54 PM, Rockoboy said:

I would use dividers to mark the hole-line, punches of different size and shape (I think some people prefer slotted holes for some projects, some might prefer round holes) needles, of which 2 types come to mind, double pin and perma-lok, a pointed modelling tool or stylus to assist with lining up holes or poking thread thru or help to even up tension etc etc.

I have only ever done a few simple laced jobs, so there might be more that the experts recommend.  

Did you mean these two types of needles? 

Screenshot_20190711-113845.jpg

Perma-lok; you thin the end of round lace then screw it into the end of the needle. It can be used for flat lace as well

https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/perma-lok-needle

But  flat lace is best used with this type; the Lok-eye;

https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/lok-eye-needle-hook-n-eye-10-pk

or this version;

https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/2-prong-lacing-needle-10-pk

I lace with these, even with flat lace (those wallets were done with this).  Size 'regular' works with 3/32" or 1/8" lace.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/perma-lok-needle

I HATE those "2-prong" needles.

I took 1 spool of this Craftsman Lace 1/8" x 25 yd. (3 mm x 22.9 m) while I took 3 types of needles:

1193-01 - Perma Lok Needle

Lok-Eye Needle (Hook-n-Eye) 10/pk
2-Prong Lacing Needle 10/pk

I hope this will be OK.

I think you'll NOT like the flat needles.  But honestly, it might be good to go on and try them, so even if you DON"T like 'em at least you'll KNOW for yourself.

3 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I think you'll NOT like the flat needles.  But honestly, it might be good to go on and try them, so even if you DON"T like 'em at least you'll KNOW for yourself.

What's so wrong with them?

PS: What's Tandy's shipping time to arrive within US? (Miami, Florida)

PS2:

I instead put this lace into cart - this is genuine leather, as previous from the link was faux. Took black and brown, can't wait to start working with them :)

(I hope I choose the right leather lace for lacing tho :) )

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftsman-lace-1-8-x-25-yd-3-mm-x-22-9-m-black

Edited by Mocivnik